Home Forums The Kitchen A Song of Ice and Fire – Tabletop Miniatures Game

This topic contains 21 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Universal Head 1 day, 11 hours ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Uthoroc
    Uthoroc
    Participant

Oh my… CMON combines with Game of Thrones to finally break Kickstarter I assume.

Just an announcement so far, but still.

Der Ringkrieg - My German fan page on the War of Ring
    Maps & More - Making Maps for a Living

Uthoroc
    Uthoroc
    Participant

There is some more information here in this “Watch it Played” report from GAMA, including a trailer for the game.

I like the look of the miniature designs. The “realistic” style is right up my alley.

Der Ringkrieg - My German fan page on the War of Ring
    Maps & More - Making Maps for a Living

The8thPagan
    Participant

It looks like they’re creating a competitor to Runewars by FFG with the figure trays.

Runewars requires a large a play area, larger than the space I have and I suspect Song this will too.

Plus I never read the books and got bored of the TV series within three episodes… I don’t watch a show when I don’t care if the characters live or die and that was the case with Thrones… they were all scum.

So I think it unlikely I will show any interest in this game.

CK Lai
    Participant

And there goes Wrath of Kings… support for the game was spotty at best from CMON. Now with this potential monster game, WoK might just wither away… 🙁

briscoe999
    Participant

@ CK Lai – that is exactly what I was thinking about WoK when I read about Song of Ice and Fire!!

CK Lai
    Participant

Thankfully I managed to build a small community in my area… we are happy to play with what we have now, so that’s all right 😀

The game system is still solid.

Universal Head
    Keymaster

At least WoK is a fantasy milieu with some originality. I’m sick and tired of everything having to be attached to an IP. The golden days of originality and creativity in game world-building are becoming a distant memory.

The miniatures look good, but this is going to be very ‘straight’ fantasy, with only a bit of giants, undead, and perhaps a dragon to throw in.

Can’t say I’m particularly excited.

Universal Head Grand Master of the Esoteric Order of Gamers

Soulsorcerer
    Soulsorcerer
    Participant

Not sure if the future of WoK is worse because of this. Looks to me that WoK is more fantasy on a skirmish level and the new one is more mass combat with mosttly human units…but info is still a bit vague at this point…so we will see.

By the way…did FFG not have this Battle for Westeros game with which this would collide more?

The8thPagan
    Participant

Used to be Battlelore, then became Westeros and now back to Battlelore I think.

Not sure if Westeros still supported.

CK Lai
    Participant

@8th : nope. All BattleLore titled games have been (seemingly) killed over at FFG despite them owning the IP.

I really wish FFG would’ve kept Battlelore as an intro to their Runewars miniatures game and made the minis able to crossover both games. Sigh.

The8thPagan
    Participant

Wasn’t it only last year that they re-released Battlelore?

I smell Asmodee involvement. “Get rid of existing IP so we can sell more new games.”

The8thPagan
    Participant

Just watched a CMON Song of Ice & Fire demo game.

Although it’s another ‘handful of d6’ game, it looks interesting.

I’ll watch out for the kickstarter, but given how few early birds they do at CMON, the odds of an EB discount are slim. I was there at launch of one game and by the time it processed my pledge, the offer was ended.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.