Home Forums The Gaming Room Mantic's Warpath Reply To: Mantic's Warpath

Participant

I’d agree on most points you mentioned, but here’s the thing: making moulds for plastic is EXPENSIVE. I’m talking on the Okko forums on BGG about kickstarting Okko 2.0 with plastic minis instead of metal. I went to a local factory yesterday (the ONLY factory in Malaysia producing games minis). To tool the moulds for plastic minis for Okko (18 minis) will cost in the region of US$50,000! Just for the moulds! So to do an Okko 2.0 re-launch, the project would need a starting target of $100,000. Ouch.

So while established companies like Mantic can do it themselves, they probably can put out 1 or 2 factions at a time. What Kickstarter allows them to do is accelerate product development and launches. Wrath of Kings is a classic example. Launching the game the traditional way, they’d probably introduce 2, maybe 3 Faction Start Boxes at launch, then slowly build up from there. The Kickstarter allowed them to produce 5 full factions including the 2nd wave of troops.

Alkemy is one example of a game that did it the traditional way. It put Kraken Editions under because they couldn’t grow the game fast enough, at a low enough price. Would AT-43/Confrontation 4 have flourished in the era of Kickstarter, instead of going under like Rackham did? Who knows? Beyond the Gates of Antares tried Kickstarter and didn’t make it. So they grew the game the traditional way, but with metal minis. I like the minis, but the faction packs are expensive. Metal minis.

My problem with CMON and Mantic isn’t that they’re using Kickstarter… it’s that they are using it TOO much. 4-5 projects a year??? (For CMON. Mantic is 3). That’s where the games could turn out half baked. Although probably only Sedition Wars turned out that way for CMON, and they learned their lesson from that.

Probably CMON doesn’t need to use it now (not after the $4 million they took from Z:BP). Mantic may be a different story. Their Kickstarters do OK, but not in the numbers that CMON does. So… Kickstarter (to me) is a double-edged sword. It has its pros and cons. And I suppose there will be those that support it, and those that don’t.