Home Forums The Kitchen Blackout Kickstarter – post-apocalyptic dungeon Crawler Reply To: Blackout Kickstarter – post-apocalyptic dungeon Crawler

#10915
Avatargalatician
Participant

The next stretch goal unlocks at 100K (the Nomad). Richard has had to address the issues with his previous efforts several times. The post below is from 10/14 on the Blackout Kickstarter comments: “To address some of the concerns and earlier feedback concerning Zero Hour- All orders that have gone out contain the appropriate rewards. Any changes made to the game during development or production were covered in the updates sent out during that time period. The game was improved through play testing and balanced which means that numbers changed here and there. For the most part, those changes were insignificant. The names of decks were changed to better fit the design of the deck. For example the Pale One became Slender Man and the Night Watchman became the Restless Dead. Originally, two versions of the game were offered. A Standard and Deluxe version. The Standard was cut before factory production because only 20 out out 1000 backed were Standard versions. Those 20 backers had their games upgraded to Deluxe. The only other changes that occurred were the removal of sanity counters and the event die. These counters tested poorly as players found them redundant and they cluttered the play surface. The event die was only in the standard game and since the standard game was cut, that die went with it. All of these changes were covered in the updates sent out to backers that detailed the development of the game.
As far as communication goes, I agree that it can always be improved. I communicated throughout the campaign and post campaign during the finalization and development of the core game. I updated backers on the testing of the core game. When that was complete, I then began the task of writing and testing the remaining 11 decks. That took a year of writing, printing and testing to be sure they worked well with the core game. Once they were complete, I went back to the core game and made further changes.
The core game was sent off to the printer which took 8+ weeks to get a sample back. I reviewed the sample and updated the backers on that sample. I then made made suggestions and told them to go ahead with the printing of the core game. I updated all backers. It took 12 weeks to print the game. In that time, I went over the 11 exploration decks again and submitted the dice order and print orders. I updated all backers. After the game was printed it was loaded on a cargo ship where it sat for 4+ weeks while the ship is packed. Once the ship left port it traveled for 8 weeks. When it arrived, I notified the backers. It stayed in customs for 14 days then was sent to me. Total print/travel time 8+ months.
I let all backers know when the game arrived and began shipping all US orders out. Next up, came the exploration decks. Since I needed only 500 each, I could not use the factory that produced the core game and had to go with another willing to do smaller print runs. Files were sent over and within 8 weeks I had sample decks for all sets. By then, the prints and dice had arrived. I let the backers know and sent those out to anyone who ordered the core game/prints/dice/doll. I continued to ship out core games while the exploration decks were being printed. The exploration decks took 12 weeks to print, the new factory was a bit slower than the original factory and Chinese New Year slowed production. By then I had shipped out around 400 US core games and 100 international orders. When the decks were completed they were placed on a cargo ship where they waited another 8 weeks while they packed the ship. I found this to be absurd. By then I was done shipping all US and core international games and waited. The ship finally left port and traveled for another 8 weeks before docking in Los Angeles. I waited for many months at this point. The cargo then sat in customs for 2 weeks before it was shipped to me. Total print and travel time 9+ months. I did not receive that shipment until July of this year. I am shipping the last 150 out of 1000 boxes to this day. I take a load in on the way to work and pack one before bed each night. Saturdays, I take a few loads to the post. If there was a time I was not updating anyone, it was in a period of waiting while the exploration cards were on the ocean or sitting on a cargo ship that was not moving or sitting in customs not moving.
For anyone that wishes to know how Blackout will be different. It’s come down to simplification. Zero Hour required three factories, to create a core game, 11 separate decks and a plush doll. In addition, there were 7 different prints and a set of metal dice.
I cut all of those things from Blackout. One box. One factory. No prints, dice or plush dolls. And no expansion material to develop. Only 1 campaign to design with fit within the core system. And that system is done, it requires more testing, but that is for numeric balancing only and to test the campaign once all enemies are added in based on what unlocks during the campaign. All the rules, loot and abilities exist for all unlock-able enemies. The mission cards exist for each enemy as well, even those they may not be unlocked. If they do not get unlocked and added in to the mission log, if just makes a shorter campaign. I hope that answers some of your question or concerns.”