@starisolator : compared to the D&D games, Myth is more complex, though I wouldn’t call them horribly so.
What they are is different. Especially if you’re used to Descent 2nd Ed (and its clones); the D&D Adventure games, and probably any dungeon crawler currently available to date.
What you have is:
1. No set hero activation. It’s a true co-op. you can go and move first and do your thing, then that opens up the way for me to do my thing, which allows you to go in again and finish off the Big Bad. No more I go first, finish all my actions, then you go next, then the next player…
2. No set Baddy activation. The enemies (called Darkness in Myth) activate depending on how aggressive you’ve been that round. Less aggressive, probably won’t activate. Very aggressive and they’ll probably activate in the middle of your activation… and then again at the end of the Hero Cycle! (Depending on how active and/or aggressive the heroes have been). But playing things timidly only means slowing down the Darkness.They will eventually activate, even if you’re going about vewy, vewy cautiously.
3. Hero abilities are a bit tricky to use until you get the hang of them. That’s why it’s recommended you play several games as one hero (to learn all the intricacies of playing the character) before you try another one. This is more so than any dungeon crawler I’ve listed above.
Having said all that, the 2.0 rules make things much easier as most of the complaint about Myth were about the way the quests/adventures were set up. Too free-form for most people who expected very clear-cut set ups and directions from a board game. The original Myth 1.0 was more a hybrid of RPG and board game, with perhaps a bias towards the RPG side (in terms of the free form quest thingy). There are also very good tutorial videos now on YouTube to show exactly how to play… with a decent tutorial quest to start off with.
I actually picked up a Captain level pledge off eBay after I watched those videos as I had also read all the negative stuff about Myth 1.0 before that. Of course, YMMV… 🙂
Log in or Register
- Machina Arcana 3rd Edition
- Greetings from Germany
- Looking for player for a Descent 1st Edition Road to Legend Campaign
- Airbrush has changed everything…
- Finally in my collection
- The Last Great Hoard of AT-43 and Confrontation?
- Mission: Red Planet 2nd edition – foam board inserts
- Rangers of Shadow Deep – solo Tabletop
- Greetings from Melbourne
- Online Boardgaming