Home Forums The Gaming Room I know it's Sigmar, but… Reply To: I know it's Sigmar, but…

UthorocUthoroc

Hmm… my post is not showing up depsite being submitted. Trying again, sorry if it appears twice.

Admittedly they were very, very simple mini-scenarios for learning the rules. But for me they only managed to highlight the flaws and weaknesses in the game. Take the very first one, teaching charges and melee combat:

1 Stormcast against 4 nighthaunts (2×2). The nighthaunts (my side) are placed 6″ away from the stormcast and go first. They are much weaker than the Stomrcast and only have a chance if at least some of them can attack first. For a charge, I roll my move distance with 2d6 – so I need at least a 6 to reach the enemy. First group rolls – a 3. Now, if they don’t manage to reach the target of the charge, they don’t move at all! So they are stuck. Second group rolls – a 3! Now the Stormcast goes – he easily rolls 6+ and reaches one of my two groups and slaughters them. Now my second group is more like 12″ away from the stormcast and of course fails to reach him. We roll until one of us rolls a 12 (my opponent does), and he slaughters my second group.

That might be teach me the rules for charging, but it also shows me that this is utterly luck-dependent. Since the game is “full turn one side, then full turn other side”, there isn’t much meaningful decision on which unit to activate first either.

Having to make meaningful decisions DURING the game (instead of when building my army) is what gaming is about for me (and one of the reasons why I love WotR so much). And this seems dearly lacking in Age of Sigmar. I am sure it is fine as a dice-chucking vehicle to pit two gloriously painted armies against each other, but the constant dice rolling without real decisions is just bugging the hell out of me.