Home Forums The Gaming Room For a non-wargamer. What's make makes each one special / unique? Reply To: For a non-wargamer. What's make makes each one special / unique?

Participant

I’d say for me, Dust Tactics (if you like that sort of thing) is the perfect gateway game, as it’s a Boardgame/Wargame hybrid.

The squares mean you don’t have to use a tape measure so there’s no finicking around with the movement. You move, or you don’t. You can enter, or you can’t.

But you also get all the elements of a wargame: Line of Sight (with a decent mechanism for determining it). Terrain elements, cover afforded by terrain, different weapons systems, range, etc. Biggest bonus: no looking up pages and pages of rules and charts. (I recall when I first got started: formation, leadership, measuring and endless charts… took ages to make a move).

So that can give you a good taste if you want to go further or not.

I can’t emphasise enough what UH said about the growth of smaller sized wargames. You no longer need to have 60-100 minis per side. Nowadays, 5-6 minis a side is a good size for a skirmish game. And Wrath of Kings has found a happy medium… something like 20-30 minis a side for a satisfying battle.