Home Forums The Workshop 3D Printing and Miniature Gaming

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  CK Lai 2 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Kent
    Kent
    Participant

Hey all,

In my life outside gaming I charade around as an engineering graduate student. One of my personal and professional interests is in 3D printing, having used a few different printers for work and school. Naturally one of the newest innovations that is just beyond the horizon for us table top gamers is the ability to print your own miniatures at home. There are already a few companies attempting to provide this service. I personally suggest staying away for the near-term, as with all technology it will get much cheaper and better in a few years.

Obviously 3D printing could be absolutely revolutionary for our hobby. Imagine the day when you go online, see a cool game you want, purchase the digital rulebook and shape files (3d printing files), and start printing the minis. The benefit comes in two ways: being able to easily replace your minis (broke one? just print it again!) and the heavily reduced upfront costs for game designers. It would be far easier for someone to design a game, design the models, and then just sell the files. Prices for games could be cheaper as there would be no need to contract a company to make the models or ship them.

Even better, there could be websites such as this one that provide a platform for user submitted models for existing games. Customize your minis however you want!

What are your guys thoughts on 3D printing and gaming? If you have any questions on 3D printing feel free to ask, I have done a lot of work with them at work.

CK Lai
    Participant

Sounds good to me. I’m trying out a KS that offers the 3D print files for terrain. Commercial 3D printers offer their printing services. Cheaper than buying the actual product + shipping. Will find out the quality and practicality once I receive the files.

Kent
    Kent
    Participant

Curious, do you have a link for that kickstarter. I’d like to check it out.

The real problem with 3D printing right now is the function of quality vs cost. The printers hobbyists can afford generally don’t offer the level of fine detail that we want in our minis. Like the electric car and the hoverboard, one day maybe…

CK Lai
    Participant

Here ya go:

Real 3D Fantasy Printable Scenery for RPGs and wargames

Yes. Personal 3D printers don’t normally give you the finer details we’re looking for. Commercial 3D printing services can.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.