Home Forums The Kitchen A Song of Ice and Fire – Tabletop Miniatures Game

This topic contains 54 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Avatar briscoe999 2 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 13 through 24 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    8th
    Participant

Just watched a CMON Song of Ice & Fire demo game.

Although it’s another ‘handful of d6’ game, it looks interesting.

I’ll watch out for the kickstarter, but given how few early birds they do at CMON, the odds of an EB discount are slim. I was there at launch of one game and by the time it processed my pledge, the offer was ended.

Uthoroc
    Uthoroc
    Participant

Yeah, I just watched that too. The minis are gorgeous, but I’m turned off by the roll to hit, roll to wound, roll to save mechanic. So many bucket loads of d6s! Past the initial maneuvering, the game seems to consist of 90% dice-chucking.

8th
    Participant

It’s a cmon game… did you expect anything else?

Universal Head
    Keymaster

These companies make some weird decisions sometimes. If I made the decisions at CMON, the first demo of the gameplay that went out to the public would be a fun, exciting, professionally-produced video that really showed off all the aspects of the game and was enhanced with music, editing and filming. Instead we get this poorly-lit vid with unpainted minis and no terrain.

Later down the track you can have the fan vids, but people are making buying decisions based on these initial videos.

Uthoroc
    Uthoroc
    Participant

I don’t have much in the way of experience with CMON games. I’ve only played Blood Rage once, and that seems to be a bit of a special case. But seeing Eric Lang is the designer here, I was expecting a bit more “modern” gameplay perhaps. 🙂

Universal Head
    Keymaster

He’s the designer? Then again, tabletop wargaming is a pretty different discipline than boardgaming.

Uthoroc
    Uthoroc
    Participant

Hmm, double-checking it seems some previews mentioned him as designer, but the game is now listed as designed by “Michael Shinall” on BGG. He was prominently involved in the GAMA show presentation though.

8th
    Participant

Eric Lang works for CMON as Director of Game Design, which may be the reason for confusion.

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Yes, Shinall was the designer of Wrath of Kings; I thought he was the designer of this one too, so I was suprised you said Lang there. As 8th says, Lang is now the director of design there.

8th
    Participant

I suppose the good thing about the game is that Dark Sword are involved. Some of my favourite RPG miniatures are made by them. The Masterworks series (not all, just a few) they did with Caldwell, Elmore and Parkinson are in my collection.

Universal Head
    Keymaster

The movement system, such as it is, comes across as very rough. Also I’m surprised that the rules lock formations into three ranks – there doesn’t seem any opportunity for different sized formations, or re-forming during battle. The dice-heavy ‘roll to hit’, roll to save, and roll for resolve’ system doesn’t thrill me either.

The use of special cards shakes things up a bit – that seems to the point of difference here.

I was hoping for something a bit more innovative. I don’t know if it’s just the way this demo presents it, but this doesn’t come across as exciting yet. And judging by the comments this demo is doing the pre-release buzz more harm than good!

Let’s wait and see if the Kickstarter campaign presents it more effectively. I haven’t quite lost hope yet!

8th
    Participant

Song of Ice kickstarter launches Tuesday. Expect a few milliseconds to get early bird and probably cmon record for funding will be shattered. Miniatures + cmon + song = millions

Viewing 12 posts - 13 through 24 (of 55 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.