Home Forums The Gaming Room Altar Quest (the new improved Heroquest??)

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Avatar briscoe999 3 weeks, 2 days ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    briscoe999
    Participant

I just found out about this game, and it has just a few days left on Kickstarter. It is designed by the Sadler brothers who have a pretty good pedigree (Descent 2nd Edition, Tannhauser, Warhammer Quest: Adventure Card Game, Space Hulk: Death Angel, etc.).

It is kind of being described as Heroquest+++ (which i think is a good thing, as although Heroquest is a great classic from years ago – it really is quite basic in nature as a dungeon crawl).

I really have not backed much on Kickstarter in a while, but i am seriously considering this one.

I am off to check out a few more playthroughs before i make my final decision!

Soulsorcerer
    Soulsorcerer
    Participant

Well…it sure looks a lot like HQ on first glance…board,furniture ect….so much that I hope they do not get into trouble with it 🙂

Universal Head
    Keymaster

I’m not a big fan of these kind of pseuduo-knockoffs that trade on nostalgia. Heroquest is a good basic dungeoncrawler, but it’s not somthing I get off the shelf very often (well, ever) and the genre has come a long way since then. It seems a shame that a generic dungeoncrawler like this does so well by trading off someone else’s name an the nostalgia that goes with it.

Of course, I could be completely wrong, to be honest I can’t be bothered reading the Kickstarter page in great detail, it looks very boring and generic to me! 🙂

briscoe999
    Participant

I watched playthroughs of AQ today, and while it certainly looks “Heroquest-like” on the surface, it does not play at all like Heroquest. The Altar dice mechanic seems pretty cool that players and the monsters can draw from, and there seems like there are alot of decisions that caqn be made.

At the moment i backed it for $1, and i will decide whether i want to get the game during the pledge manager after the KS is over in 2 days.

It has a modular card system that claims to have alot of replay-ability, so we shall see how this KS shakes out.

briscoe999
    Participant

I watched playthroughs of AQ today, and while it certainly looks “Heroquest-like” on the surface, it does not play at all like Heroquest. The Altar dice mechanic seems pretty cool that players and the monsters can draw from, and there seems like there are alot of decisions that can be made.

At the moment i backed it for $1, and i will decide whether i want to get the game during the pledge manager after the KS is over in 2 days.

It has a modular card system that claims to have alot of replay-ability, so we shall see how this KS shakes out.

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Fair enough! I’m a just a bit jaded with dungeoncrawlers at the moment, especially fantasy ones.

briscoe999
    Participant

I totally understand UH!! I had backed Massive Darkness on KS, and found it to be a “Massive Disappointment” – so i sold it off. I also sold off my Descent 2.0 core game and replaced it with Star Wars: Imperial Assault. Come to think of it, currently i really do not have many Fantasy Dungeon Crawlers at all!!

I own Space Hulk and love it, but it is Sci-Fi. I own Conan, but that is not really a Fantasy Dungeon Crawl.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.