Home Forums The Storage Room Another Roll for the Galaxy inlay with removable dice tray

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Universal Head 2 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Zimbu
    Participant

Much like Shawn McCool posted last month, I’ve also made a custom inlay for Roll for the Galaxy. My design also grew from a desire to have a removable dice box, but I’ve incorporated tiny rare earth magnets to create a secure lid for the box:

Dice Box

I’ve documented it in a BoardGameGeek forum post but I wanted to share it here as well.

This is only my third foamcore box inlay. I discovered foamcore by way of the excellent EOG instructional videos, and magnets seem like a logical addition. These tiny 1/8″ neodymium magnets are the perfect size for 5mm foamcore. They can simply be pressed into the foam edge until flush, and the compressed foam will leave a neat pocket they can be glued into using the same PVA white glue you use on the rest of the construction. Alternatively, you can excavate a tiny cavity to seat them in with a fine blade xacto knife.

Pre-fitting the magnets to get the parts to line up was important, as was marking the magnets with a marker pen to make sure the polarity was correct when they were glued in place. Working with neodymium magnets takes a bit of practice, because they will zip across sizeable gaps to jump to metal or each other.

Because they can be a little brittle, it’s best not to let them “click” together directly. And you don’t want them anywhere near each other until the glue is good and dry, or they’ll pull right out of the sockets!

I had a ton of fun putting this together. Big thanks to EOG for providing such a fun and inspirational resource for gamers!

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Absolutely brilliant. I don’t know why I never thought of this before.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.