Home Forums The Gaming Room Any thoughts on Rise of Moloch?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  CK Lai 3 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Dustin
    Dustin
    Participant

Anyone here played Rise of Moloch yet? How was it? Would you recommend it? If I were looking for a good one vs all game would it be recommended over games like Conan? I love the look and theme of it, but wondering how it stacks up to the competition.

CK Lai
    Participant

The game is great. Refreshingly different from most of CMON’s games. And the steampunk theme does set it apart from most other dungeon crawl board games.

But Monolith’s Conan is also a lot of fun and the best take on REH’s Conan yet. The 1 vs many mechanics are also very different from most other board games.

You can’t go wrong with either one. It’s all down to theme : which one do you prefer. (And ignore the whinging on the forum of a particular popular board game site about how the game scenarios are “unbalanced”. Nothing will satisfy these people, it seems 😉 )

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Oh, I love Rise of Moloch, I think it’s one of the best games of that ‘one vs many’ style for ages. The figures are really imaginative (the designs are from the original SMOG 54mm miniatures game), the gameplay straightforward but with a nice twist (the more the characters use their powers, the more powerful the nemesis becomes), and the scenarios are interesting.

Conan is fantastic too; the mechanics are pretty revolutionary and make for a very cinematic game.

I wouldn’t want to choose between the two, they’re very different and it’s worth getting them both.

Dustin
    Dustin
    Participant

Nice to know! Thanks guys. They both have interesting mechanics for the overlord player(which I tend to play). They remind me a little of Level 7 Omega Protocol, and I love how that system works.

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Conan is completely different, quite a unique system.

CK Lai
    Participant

Yes. SMOG does borrow a little from the L7 : Omega Protocol game with Ether substituting for Stress (or whatever it is the Marines have to hand over to the Alien Overlord).

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.