Home Forums The Workshop At last, perfect figure storage

This topic contains 16 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Universal Head 1 month ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 13 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author

8th
    Participant

I don’t have space for a storage cupboard like that and need to keep my miniature games portable, so prefer to use the original box if possible.

Recent GW box sets like Kill Team, Soul Wars and Battle of Pelennor Fields have large boxes to hold the sprues and in the case of Soul Wars a separate box for the sprues.

So… a visit to a local cheapo store provided me with some magnetic white boards (£2.49 for two magnetic sheets a bit smaller than A4) that I dismantled to recover the sheets which are thin and light. These will be attached to the inside of the ‘sprue box’ which will hold those ‘oh so brittle’ haunt miniatures.

For the large miniatures I will cut the metal into strips and attach to the sides… or I may use a bit of foam board to section off an area for rule books, dice etc and store all miniatures vertically… I’ll ponder than one when I’ve got everything painted and tried a few alternatives.

It won’t take a lot of jostling to shake them free, so they need to be handled carefully in transit, but it will keep the figures safer than storing in foam.

Uthoroc
    Uthoroc
    Participant

I’m getting to the point now that I don’t have enough room in my displays for my painted minis. Would love such an architectural cupboard, but prices are prohibitive here. Will have to look for alternate solutions.

dropdeadcriminal
    Participant

Ya, I work in the architecture field and can’t find any at a reasonable price. I saw one that looked just like that on craigslist for $2,400. Even 4 shelf metal plan cases are $600 a piece (you’d need 3 or 4 to make a normal height cabinet).
    What I have been considering is grabbing a cabinet with a door (something in the 18″x18″”x60″ range) with standard peg hole shelves. Then getting a few dowels to make more pegs and glueing some metal sheet to some 1/4″ particleboard to make new shelves. It should be easy to pull out a whole shelf when you want access to some of the mimatures.

Soulsorcerer
    Soulsorcerer
    Participant

Maybe the IKEA system has some affordable storage solutions that only need thin metal sheets on top?

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Yes, that’s what I did with my old plan drawers. You can use any set of drawers or whatever and easily line them with thin sheets of steel.

Viewing 5 posts - 13 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.