Home Forums The Kitchen Batman Gotham City Chronicles

This topic contains 42 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Avatar Universal Head 3 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 25 through 36 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    Universal Head
    Keymaster

Sorry mate – getting the balance right to stop spam but let through legit messages seems to be an arcane art …

Universal Head
    Keymaster

The problem is, it’s been so successful that more companies are going to go ‘Kickstarter exclusive’.

Brent
    Participant

Backed for the Base Game only.

I have backed a lot of kickstarters “all-in” and I am going to stop. There is just not enough game time to utilize all the content some of these “all-in” games have. Either the game gets a “meh” from other players (for sure a game killer with so many great games around) or the next new hotness comes through the door.

So, if a game gets 10 plays that would be great, more likely 5 to 8 plays. Given those numbers, what are the chances of getting a boat load of extra or expansion content to the table? Close to zero.

For the time being, it’s going to be Base Game pledges for me. Of course, there are game systems like Zombicide that have seen a lot of table time, so for those I will get the extras.

Peace

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Well, I ended up backed it. I’m so weak! 🙂
    But I agree with you about ‘all-in’ – I’m glad I did it for *Smog*, but I rarely do. And really, the painting backlog is getting ridiculous and even just slightly stressful!

8th
    Participant

Too many variant sculpts and obscure villains. And I really hated the ‘Fat-batman’…

Add the similarity to Conan, which I still haven’t got to the game table…

Then there was the very high price for the base game, plus postage, plus UK import tax on the deal and it was way too expensive.

If they do a post Brexit reprint that is UK friendly I may reconsider, but probably not.

So I dropped out and not worried about it.

Dropping all post Brexit games unless UK friendly.

Universal Head
    Keymaster

There’s only thing that got me to press the button in the end – Conan is one of my favourite games, and the system works so well. I’d like to see the same system work with modern tech. But I’m not that excited about the minis at all; I’ll paint them up very fast and loose.

8th
    Participant

To be honest, I’m getting a bit tired of Kickstarter.

It’s all about making big money for the already big companies as a way to cut out the middle man… the retailer.

Stretch goals add a lot for plastic, but that doesn’t add much to gameplay in many cases.

Retail version of games are usually cheaper and postage much less.

And by the time I’ve waited a year, or more for a game, I’m often bored of the idea. Good few games in my collection I would not have bought based on customer feedback, but I did back on Kickstarter.

I may just wait for my outstanding projects and shut down Kickstarter account.

Soulsorcerer
    Soulsorcerer
    Participant

@Universal Head So…the Batman Season 2 KS is running and I am thinking about it. Maybe you can help me shed some light on what (if at all) expansions do make sense. Is versus mode needed for replay value? What do the others bring to the table to pay extra? What do you see as most interesting in Season 2 with your “knowledge”. And could you compare Conan and Batman. Thanks in advance!

Universal Head
    Keymaster

I’ve only played versus mode once but it was fun – both players had an ‘overlord’ board and it felt like a more balanced one to one game than the usual asymmetric game. As for the rest of seson 2, I didn’t look too closely as it seemed to be mostly more missions and extra characters I had no interest in. I got the core game, Wayne Manor, and Versus mode, and I’m very happy with that amount of content. Glad I got Wayne Manor for the extra maps (and I must admit I love the big T rex), and versus mode is a fun change of pace.

As for Conan and Batman, they’re almost identical, though the wide difference in the theme does make them feel different. So far I feel Batman is a bit more unforgiving for the heroes, but that may improve with time. Neither are ‘bash em up’ combat games; there is usually a specific way (or perhaps ways) of optimising choices and strategy for a map, and that can be frustrating sometimes as it can feel like a puzzle to be solved. Luck feels a bit more swingy in Batman as there are more dice with drastic ‘big hit or nothing’ results. I like them both and I’m glad I have both, though Conan still has a very special place in my collection.

Soulsorcerer
    Soulsorcerer
    Participant

Well…I will take a look at Conan again and then decide to go retail Conan or KS Batman 🙂

Thanks for your help again!

Soulsorcerer
    Soulsorcerer
    Participant

Do you feel like if you solved the puzzle for a specific map that you would not play it again….or does the game do something about that problem? I pledged for Core box at the moment and will have a week to ponder what to do 🙂

Universal Head
    Keymaster

The jury is still out on that question! Watch the Shut Up and Sit Down review, it’s pretty spot on.

Viewing 12 posts - 25 through 36 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.