Home Forums The Gaming Room Battlelore 1E, Battlelore 2E, Battles of Westeros, Memoir '44, C&C Napoleonics

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Universal Head 3 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

briscoe999
    Participant

I already own Memoir ’44 and several of its expansions and Battlelore 2E. I have only played them a few times, but i do enjoy them both.

I am debating on whether or not to get Battles of Westeros & C&C: Napoleonics. Would BoW make sense getting even if i have the other 2 games mentioned? It seems like a different enough game which is not really a “battlelore” system, even though it says that on the box.

I also was thinking of trying to get Battlelore 1E. But due to BL 1E being not easy to find now that it is out of print (in addition to having to try to find all/most of the expansions) – I am trying to stay away.

If anybody has all (5) games listed in the title (or most of them) – could you please “rank” them and let me know if it makes sense to own all of them, or if some of them have too much overlap.

I recently became part of a game group in my area, so I think i will be playing games more often in the near future (which is quite exciting!). So that is why i am looking to expand my collection with a few more quality games (and I love the C&C system).

Universal Head
    Keymaster

I find all the C&C games have different ‘feels’, but not everyone agrees. It depends on how much you enjoy the basic system. I think Battles of Westeros is probably the most different of the lot, and I enjoy it, thougn it doesn’t seem to make it to the table too often because of its more complex rules.

Here’s my off-the-top-of-my-head ranking. Not that I haven’t played Napoleonics, Battle Cry or the Japanese one. Also I’ve played 1st edition much more than 2nd Edition so nostalgia and familiarity are probably a large factor.

1. Memoir ’44
    2. Battles of Westeros
    3. BattleLore 1st Editon
    4. BattleLore 2nd Edition
    5 C&C Ancients

briscoe999
    Participant

Thanks for the response UH! I see you C&C Ancients at the bottom of the 5. While different from C&C Napoleonics, did you rank it that way because of lack of miniatures in Ancients? I ask this because most people say Ancients and Napoleonics are the two most “meatiest” games of the C&C system.

Universal Head
    Keymaster

No, I like it, but out of those 5 I’m forced to put it at 5. I haven’t played it a lot but again, it’s got a different feel. Didn’t feel particularly more complex or deep at all (BoW is more complex), but then I just have the core set.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.