Home Forums The Gaming Room Battlore 1st Edition – A gamer reconnects with an old favorite

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Universal Head 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

briscoe999
    Participant

I just recently re-purchased the Battlelore 1st Edition Core Set. I had this game many years ago along with a good amount of the expansions, but had sold it about 4 years ago.

After that on i did purchase the Battlelore 2nd Edition Core Set; and while it is not a “bad” game – it is a pretty different game from 1st edition, and i did not like it near as much as the original. (The setting is blander, only 3 figures to a unit, less exciting victory conditions, etc.)

Now that BL 2nd edition has been basically discontinued by FFG and (in favor of their Runewars Miniatures Game), i figured I’d re-pick up this 1st Edition classic.

I am REALLY looking forward to playing BL 1E again!!!

Just though i’d share this with my fellow forum members. Who knows, maybe it will inspire you to go on the “hunt” for that long lost classic you sold away and have regretted ever since!! 🙂

Soulsorcerer
    Soulsorcerer
    Participant

Just noticed the game when the base game was no where to get other then ebay…for redicules prices. So I was quite happy that 2nd ed came…but strangly it never got me startet. So…how did you not get broke buying 1st ed? 🙂

briscoe999
    Participant

@soulsorcerer – I was pleasantly surprised to see that the BL 1E core set has come DOWN in price over time. If you look on ebay, prices are usually between $50-$70 for a copy in like-new/new condition; and there is a TON of stuff that comes in the box. That core set used to go for way over $100 a few years ago. Now certain BL expansions are a different story. Some of those go for way more than their original MSRP.

Universal Head
    Keymaster

I got the base set of BattleLore 2nd Edition but the few times I’ve played it I found it nowhere near as good as the original edition. There’s something about it that doesn’t work for me – perhaps it’s the abilities of the units, I don’t know. I also find FFG’s Terrinoth setting horribly bland.

Original BattleLore had character, humour, and a sense of fun. It’s a shame it died, but luckily there was enough stuff released for it to keep anyone happy for a long, long time.

I’m biased of course – I spent a lot of time promoting original BattleLore, and even got a bit of my creative writing on the back of one of the expansion sets!

briscoe999
    Participant

Which expansion set UH??

Universal Head
    Keymaster

The Scottish Wars. On my old site battleloremaster.com I had a series of writings about a spy character called The Raven. They used one for the back of that box. There was some talk about me doing a background sourcebook for the game at one point, but of course it never eventuated. Shame, it would have been a fun project!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.