Home Forums The Workshop Beyond Primary. The essential minimum for detailed figure painting?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Universal Head 4 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Spurred by Universal Heads’s clear and concise painting tutorials, finally I believe that I can indeed make my game figures look amazing on the table. For me, these will be the figures in War of the Ring 2nd Ed. + expansion, Battle of Five Armies, Cyclades + expansions (yes, Titans too) and Level 7: Omega Protocol.

I know I will need quality, however, exactly as expressed by UH in his recent BattleLore 2nd Ed. painting video, I’d rather get them done as soon as possible and get playing. I also don’t have all that much to paint comparatively and nothing in the pipeline. With a little art background, I reckon my colour theory will kick in. Therefore, I sense little need investing in a ‘Something Green’ as well as a ‘Something Different Green’, etc!

So, as you have gathered fellow EOG members, I’m asking, what is the minimum set for an efficient painting variety and would it be along these lines?:-

Undercoat spray – A White (as UH recommends)
    Basic – A ‘Flesh’
    Basic – A Red
    Basic – A Yellow
    Basic – A Blue
    Basic – A Green
    Basic – A Brown
    Basic – A White
    Basic – A Black
    Basic – A Gold/Bronze
    Basic – A Silver/Metallic
    Shading/Washes – A Dark ink (for depth)
    Shading/Washes – A Light ink (for skin and whites)
    Varnish – Semi-gloss (as UH recommends)

Is this ideal? Is it too much? Not enough? How specific should I be when buying? I will appreciate any advice that is offered.

Thanks gang!

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Well, I’m impressed. You do know your colour theory, so you should have no problem mixing up a good variety of colours there. You can get darker and lighter colours by mixing in your black or white, and you can get get different shades by mixing between them (eg a more lime green by adding yellow to green).

The huge range of paints available these days (especially from GW) is really just for convenience (and increasing revenue); a lot of the shades can be arrived at by mixing, but hardly anyone seems to do it anymore. The Old Masters would be horrified! That said, you’ll probably quickly find yourself wanting to get some of the more subtle colours, especially a few browns, as these can vary a lot. Also, I use a bone colour quite often as a lightner for browns instead of white (and for … bones).

And perhaps a couple of very different shades each of blue and green if you have any money left in the piggy bank.

Nicely worked out!

Just what I wanted to hear…or read, whatever! Many thanks UH!

I just want to make the best start. As I heard in a Laurel and Hardy film, ‘A job well begun, is a job half done!’. I could have trawlled the internet for info, but I thought, ‘where better than on the EOG’. I knew there were things I’d want to consider (eg. bone colour) and despite my saying I want to work quickly, I know my standards will slow this down. I probably should’ve titled the post ‘minimum for realistic painting’ as I want my WotR units to look ready for ‘The Battle of Evermore’, rather than the ‘Battle of Epping Forest’!!

Hopefully this post will be of use to other budding painters in house.

WonderSlug
    WonderSlug
    Participant

As my paint collection constantly increases, part of me wishes I had the patience to mix my own colors.

I just find the convenience of have multiple shades of this and that too strong a temptation. 🙂

Very good list though, and I’m sure very helpful for anyone looking to get started in the hobby.

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Oh I agree, it is very convenient, and I do less and less mixing these days.

ozmo
    ozmo
    Participant

Okay, tried posting this the other day. I think hyperlinks are causing a problem. So posting them without links.

Your list makes me happy. I have no background in art but I don’t let that stop me. As I mentioned in my intro thread I was inspired by a post on BGG where a user named barks painted his Battle of the Five Armies figures. I’ve been wanting to paint for a long time but didn’t have the confidence in my skills. His blog clicked with me and put all of the stuff I’ve read over the years together. I realized I could do that. So I went ahead and bought stuff to do it.

I like kits. I’ve used them for other hobbies over the years (like fly tying) and think they’re a good entry point. If I don’t like the hobby I’m not out too much, if I do then I learn basic techniques and when it comes time to upgrade equipment I know what I want. So I did some searching and decided to go for “The Army Painter Mega Hobby Kit”. I picked it up for $75 US.

It contains some tools (hobby knife, cutters, tweezers, mini drill/bits, sculpting tool, file), self healing cutting mat, green stuff, basing materials, a few glues, black spray primer, and 11 paints. Considering I needed most of this stuff (except hobby knife and mini drill) I didn’t think it was a bad deal.

The paints included (army painter warpaints brand):
    – red (pure)
    – blue (ultramarine)
    – green (greenskin)
    – yellow (demonic)
    – black (matte)
    – white (matte)
    – flesh (barbarian)
    – brown (leather)
    – metallic gold (greedy gold)
    – metallic silver (plate mail)
    – Quickshade Ink – Strong Tone (Umber wash)

There might have been some other stuff in there as well but I think that about covers it. I also ordered their spray primer (army painter leather brown) as I was following barks’ steps on his blog.

I did my first minis this past weekend and was very happy with the results. I’ll see about adding pics in another post. I found the colors included to be sufficient and I played around with mixing for the colors I didn’t have. The biggest gap I had was a good, light goblin green. The greenskin is a nice, deep green. I used it on the Great Orcs to see how it looked. I like it on them but I think it will be too dark on the smaller orcs & goblins. I wasn’t happy with my mixing efforts to get a goblin green though.

Which means I went ahead and ordered the Army Painter Mega Paint set. 🙂 I tend to be brand loyal when starting out as long as I feel the quality is there. As I grow in the hobby I’ll branch out and try other brands but I want consistency when I start out. And since it’s “Mega” it’s everything I’ll ever need, right? 🙂 That’s what I’ll tell my wife. Although she knows better.

Update – The paint kit came in on Friday. I found it for $90 US. It has 42 paints in it. Well technically 34 paints, 7 of their quickwashes, and a bottle of varnish. Also had 3 of their brushes. I’m excited and hope to get some more of the armies painted this week.

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Well, what should keep you going! Great to see someone new entering the world of miniature painting. In fact, I’m just about to spend my Sunday afternoon—after going out for a good bike ride in the morning—continuing to work on my Hell Dorado figures while I listen to some podcasts about famous shipwrecks. Great way to relax.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.