Home Forums The Gaming Room Collect The Set…

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  briscoe999 1 year, 9 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

8th
    Participant

This year I’m trying to kick my habit of collecting expansions… well… maybe not kick it, just cut back.

FFG games are a weak spot for me. X-Wing, Eldritch Horror, Mansions of Madness, Tannhauser, Elder Sign and Imperial Assault are the major culprits.

X-Wing I kicked a while back, as I was buying and not getting chance to play, but there’s a chance that might change this year thanks to the fan created co-op campaign out there in internet-land. Although I still plan on not buying… unless something really cool comes out of course.

Eldritch Horror has Dreamlands coming soon and although it looks cool and I love the Dreamlands as a setting, the 2-4 hour play time means I seldom get play and when I do it’s a solo… so I’m fighting the urge.

Mansions of Madness 2.0 I like, but again the adventures are long and I still have scenarios to defeat, so I’ll hold off on Beyond the Threshold for now.

Tannhauser is no longer in print and I’m missing just one expansion, the rank and file german soldiers, so I keep my eyes open for that, but no rush as I played that a lot a few years back and needed a break.

Elder Sign expansions tend to have new sets of adventure cards and they make the game varied… plus it’s fairly quick and fun solo, so that’s going keep getting updated.

Imperial Assault… **sigh** now that’s the big one. Got everything to date and latest batch is in the post. I won’t be kicking this habit anytime soon, not with Episode VIII and IX left to go (and hopefully Rogue One too). More to paint and prep for the table. Started the skirmish game now and that’s fun. Short too, at least it will be once I master the fast map set up and whittle the command cards down to a selection that I like.

So what are you compulsions? What games do you keep collecting?

Universal Head
    Keymaster

I know what you mean 8P. I’m a bit OCD when it comes to collecting sets too, though I try very hard to curb that compulsion when it comes to FFG games. I control it by keeping in mind how many times I actually get to play the games.

Considering how often I play X-Wing and Armada, I have enough stuff for those games to last forever. Elder Sign I never played; MoM I still haven’t played most of the 1st edition adventures and I’m putting off buying 2nd edition because I hate the miniatures so much; Imperial Assault I’ve played the core set and I won’t get more until I play the first campaign expansion. I played Netrunner quite a bit for a while, and still enjoy relatively regular LCG game sessions with a friend, so I have pretty big collections of all the LCGs. What money sinks those are!

I’m worse when it somes to out of print things like Confrontation, AT-43, and even Tannhauser, because I feel the compulsion to get everything that was made for them, secure in the knowledge that there won’t be any more, and they’ll only get more expensive the more I put off getting them. That’s when the collecting bug really kicks in for me. In fact tabletop figure games are the worst when it comes to collecting – I got all the factions of Wrath of Kings at the time of the initial Kickstarter campaign, and now I feel the need to keep up with the latest releases, even though I’m not playing it enough to justify it.

In the end, running out of space becomes the big brake on one’s compulsions! That and the hard work involved in painting figures!

CK Lai
    Participant

Yah. I’m kicking the habit also. Sold off ALL my Descent 2.0 stuff last year … then bought the base game again when the app came out. Now I’m only picking up sets and expansions if they’re on sale at deep discounts. Otherwise I’m keeping my money firmly in my wallet.

Tannhauser. Got everything except the equipment cards and not going to buy them at the silly prices being asked on eBay.

Like UH, I’m kinda going for AT-43 also … dead game. And for the same reasons. My Therian Holy Grail : Succubus Golgoths 😁 everything else is available on eBay. It’s just a question of how much. 😉

Wrath of Kings … in now looking at the stat cards and deciding is it a unit I can use? If not, no buy.

Also learning to kick the KS addiction. Still backing games but smaller, simpler ones that don’t cost a bomb.

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Funnily enough, I just got the rest of the stuff for Fireteam Zero (two expansion sets and a box of stretch goal figures). Great value. I still haven’t decided if it’s a good game or not because I haven’t played enough, but I got a lot for US$145.

It really annoys me how anything out of print is so overpriced on Ebay. Hardly anyone is playing these games, but some greedy bastards are still posting top dollar for them to screw those few players that are left out there.

8th
    Participant

Obsessive Completion Disorder 🙂

We should form a therapy group…

Universal Head
    Keymaster

We have. 😉

CK Lai
    Participant

This is it? 😀

Soulsorcerer
    Soulsorcerer
    Participant

Well…now that we are at this point…I think I can confess that I only signed up here to have the firm confirmation that there are worse addicts out there than me!!! Oh…and btw…thank you for that guys!!! ;-P

Universal Head
    Keymaster

See, we do help!

briscoe999
    Participant

Like UH and CK Lai, I keep an eye out for AT-43 stuff that i am missing. It is funny, i have been able to somewhat keep myself in check over the last several months by staying away from KS projects. I am really going to try to curb spending, although i am very intrigued by Eric Lang’s new upcoming design Rising Sun. I think i will back that one as long as the KS is run in the same vein like Blood Rage (a fair amount of free exclusives and very little necessary add-ons).

I am trying to tell myself if a KS game with tons of minis ends up being is just “average to a little better than average – in reality I am just not going to play it that much if at all).

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.