Home Forums The Gaming Room Conan: Rise of Monsters

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by WonderSlug WonderSlug 3 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Another day, another Conan kickstarter campaign. Conan: Rise of Monsters is a pre-painted miniatures game, starting off with the Legion of Set versus the Circle of Iron. It’s pre-painted, which a nice change, but it ain’t cheap either.

It looks fine and has a straightforward custom dice system, but I’m not seeing anything here that’s particularly different or interesting, and coming so close after the Monolith Conan game, I think they have a bit of an uphill battle ahead, as evidenced by the sluggish response to their pricey $250K goal. They use words like ‘epic’ and ‘hordes’, but considering the number of figures involved, it looks more skirmish-level to me.

Not for me, but what do you think?

briscoe999
    Participant

I pretty much agree. After backing alot of $$ for the Monolith Conan as well as the Age of Conan expansion…..I am kind of Conan’d out.

Dont get me wrong, the minis look real nice and are pre-painted – BIG plusses in my book. But for what you get, the cost is just too much (even for the early birds – if there are little to no stretch goals added).
    The way this KS is going, it does not look like they will be breaking any major number of stretch goals.

I also dont like how you can buy the starter sets separately – but you really need to get BOTH starters for a “playable” game (which will only have 30 figures if there are no stretch goals). Notice i did not use the term “Complete Game”.

I almost wish they would sell the “game system” (cards, dice, etc.) without the minis so i could use my Monolith minis for this system!!

Unless something drastically changes, I will unfortunately not be Kickstarting CROM.

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Doh! I just realised Conan: Rise of Monsters spells out CROM. That was a bit slow of me…

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Well, the campaign was cancelled. Looks like they’re doing a deal with Reaper Miniatures are relaunching the campaign at a later date.

Funny how you can just tell right off the bat when a campaign isn’t going to do well.

briscoe999
    Participant

It looks like they will be partnering with Reaper. I guess we shall see what they come up with in the re-launch later this year.

WonderSlug
    WonderSlug
    Participant

Yeah, that one didn’t hook me one bit. At a quick glance, I was under the impression it was just another kickstarter hoping to ride the wave of the Monolith game. Meh. Oh well.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.