Home Forums The Kitchen Core Space

This topic contains 17 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  The8thPagan 4 days, 18 hours ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 18 total)
  • Author

The8thPagan
    Participant

This has just arrived on kickstarter.

It’s sort of a combo of a skirmish game and dungeon crawl.

Two players (or teams) competing for objectives in a campaign.

Cardboard terrain that could be used in any SF game.

Exploration to get better weapons and gear.

Experience system to improve from game to game.

Third party AI called the Purge that gradually appear as the game goes and the two teams attract their attention with combat. Also police and criminals to complicate matters.

Opposing teams may need to team up to deal with the Purge, but then can betray them to win the mission.

Third party AI called the purge that gradually appear as the game goes and the two teams attract their attention with combat.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1621774283/core-space

Backed it for an early bird, but I don’t think it’s great value just yet. Have to see how good the stretch goals are.

CK Lai
    Participant

These guys always give good value.

I’ve backed several of their past KS projects and they always go above and beyond.

(Of course, how much extra we get depends on how much they get.)

The8thPagan
    Participant

Personally,I think with so few miniatures and cardboard scenery it should be at least £20 less.

CK Lai
    Participant

Well, the terrain and mat alone cost £45. So the game itself costs £39 if you consider most games give you a board or tiles without the 3D elements.

YMMV of course whether that’s good value or not 😉

The8thPagan
    Participant

They’ve added 4 extra harvesters as a freebie to add a bit more value.

Also added a few cheap addons which seems odd to me as it hasn’t even funded yet.

The8thPagan
    Participant

Still not funded, but very close.

I’ve noticed early birds appear and then vanish. I suspect some dropped out as it was funding so slowly and won’t unlock many stretch goals.

Soulsorcerer
    Soulsorcerer
    Participant

@CK Lai What can you say about the cardboard quality…is it really holding up if assembled and disassembled quite often?

CK Lai
    Participant

@Soulsorceror : cardboard quality is very good. But they do advise you to apply super glue to the edges to strengthen the bits where they lock together. Looks awesome when done. I’ll try and post some samples on my blog.

The8thPagan
    Participant

I’ve skimmed a couple of play throughs of Core Space now and losing interest as it looks a bit too fiddly.

And I still don’t think it’s great value when it has so few miniatures and just cardboard scenery.

CK Lai
    Participant

Well… perceived value is a personal thing… but that scenery is really excellent. No other board game gives you 2×2 play mat with 3D scenery like that. And of course, you’re not limited to using that scenery only for this game.

The8thPagan
    Participant

@CK… It’s not just the quality of the scenery. I have some clumsy friends and the slightest nudge of that interlocked scenery will move everything out of place.

Plus those dashboards look very fiddly, as do the weapon crates.

2×2 playmate are quite cheap and I already have 2×2 and 3×3 lying around.

But each to their own. I wish them luck, but unless I see a more interesting demo game or they unlock something amazing as a freebie, I’ll be dropping out.

I really do have a lot of similar games and think I’d like to devote my attention to Necromunda and Carnevale for a while.

HoraceHonkyHorn
    Participant

For me, one of the main appeals of this is the fact that it has solo rules.

Watching the EoG battle reports has got me really interested in playing skirmish games, but I’ve no one to play with, making it difficult to get into.

I have persuaded/blackmailed my daughters into trying Battle Masters (which I bought after watching the EoG batrep), but although they enjoyed that, I’ve no hope of getting them to try anything more involved/tactical.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.