Home Forums The Gaming Room Cthulhu Wars

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Universal Head 2 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

briscoe999
    Participant

Well, I finally broke down and ordered the Cthulhu Wars core set today. The MRSP of $200 had kept me away up until now, but I was able to get it for $128 with free shipping (I live in the states). I heard alot of great things about this game (including that it is fairly easy to play and learn).

I also picked up Fury of Dracula 3rd Edition. Looking forward to getting both of these to the table!!

Universal Head
    Keymaster

They’re both good games. CW is too expensive for what it is – well, it’s too expensive for those of us who have to pay shipping anyway! It’s fun, but it’s not really ground-breaking, and I don’t feel the need to buy endless expansions (though I did spring for the 3D gates). FoD 3rd edition is the best edition yet of one of my favourite games of all time.

Jack Romeo
    Jack Romeo
    Participant

What do you think of the 3D gates? I found them too massive and plan to try out a paint job on one to see how that turns out. Haven’t painted anything else, before trying that I need some more practice. If you do paint them (or the other minis in CW), some pictures would be awesome.

Universal Head
    Keymaster

I haven’t got them yet (and might not see them in a while). Disappointed to hear that you think they’re too big. BUt then everything in this game is too big really! 🙂

MatineeIdyll129
    MatineeIdyll129
    Participant

Have you considered doing a painting video for the figures, UH? The largest I’ve ever painted is the Dark Young from Call of the Wild, and I’m rather hesitant about how to paint these larger, more detailed creatures.

Universal Head
    Keymaster

I don’t think I’ll get around to having the time for such a big project, to be honest. But a good way to paint large figures is ‘wet on wet’. In other words, use thin layers of your various colours and paint them on wet, blending them as you paint, even adding water as you do so. You can get some really nice natural effects and blends this way, instead of laboriously blending colours together, and then you can paint detail on top of this base coat.

Universal Head
    Keymaster

I don’t think I’ll get around to having the time for such a big project, to be honest. But a good way to paint large figures is ‘wet on wet’. In other words, use thin layers of your various colours and paint them on wet, blending them as you paint, even adding water as you do so. You can get some really nice natural effects and blends this way, instead of laboriously blending colours together, and then you can paint detail on top of this base coat.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.