Home Forums The Workshop Cthulhu Wars (and flimsy faction sheets)

This topic contains 14 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Graydeth Graydeth 2 years, 12 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Jack Romeo
    Jack Romeo
    Participant

Hey Orders,

Just got the Cthulhu Wars core set from the Kickstarter. First of all, the minis are huge and looks pretty good. Probably a blast to paint if you know what you are doing, though I want some more practice painting big minis before I risk messing these ones up.

However, the faction sheets are pretty flimsy and I imagine they will get chips and marks as soon as we start using them. I’m considering laminating them, but that feels a little risky. Any suggestions?

Universal Head
    Keymaster

That’s a shame; given the price, I was hoping everything would be very sturdy and high quality. It’s funny though, publsihers almost always skimp on player sheets, making them thinner cardboard than they should be. It’s annoying as they get so much use.

I really don’t want to recommend you do anything to them, in case there’s a disaster!

Jack Romeo
    Jack Romeo
    Participant

Good point. I’ve noticed the same on several games; Arkham Horror, Shadows of Brimstone, Zombicide, Eclipse, Twilight Imperium, and now Cthulhu Wars. Same goes for the scoreboard actually. It’s a shame, as the cardboard and minis in CW are very nice. I´ll try making a photocopy of the faction sheets on Monday and see how they turn out on the office printer. Maybe I’ll just laminate the originals and hope for the best. As the sheets are core to the game, maybe we can bug Sandy for a high quality PDF at some point if the sheets gets too flimsy.

As for the rest of the pieces, the cardboard is among the best I’ve seen. Thick, sturdy, and no visible marks at all when punching them out. Melted right out so easily I wouldn’t have known what to do with my hobby knife. Used your cutting trick on Shadows of Brimstone, but this was a whole other league.

The rulebook is a piece of work though, and could really use the EOG treatment. For a game with such a simple core mechanics they sure make it confusing by constantly referring to the faction special abilities when explaining the rules.

As for the game itself, we had two rounds tonight, and it was pretty fun. Not as long or heavy on the rules as games we usually play, which was a nice change of pace. Looking forward to playing it more with different groups and see how it fares in the long run.

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Waiing on my copy, but they’ll definitely be an EOG summary in the works when I get it.

Jack Romeo
    Jack Romeo
    Participant

A good candidate for an unboxing video as well. Looking forward to the rules summary!

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Of course, there’s always a Joy of Unboxing!

MarcellusWallace
    MarcellusWallace
    Participant

And of course there’s always some kind of gameplay video? 😉

Universal Head
    Keymaster

That’s the plan. It may not survive contact with reality, but that’s the plan.

Graydeth
    Graydeth
    Participant

have you painted the minis yet? if so, can you post some pictures?

also, what are your impressions on the game? is it high enough so that you are interested in the Cthulhu Wars 2 kickstarter coming soon?

Universal Head
    Keymaster

No, I haven’t even considered painting them as yet. It may be somewhat lower on the priorities list for a while.

The game is good, though I still think it’s over-priced and the miniatures are too large. I would have enjoyed the game just as much if everything was scaled down somewhat. We’ve only played a couple of times and no one’s been desperate to get it back to the table, though I’m sure no one would refuse a game of it either. Which is probably a shame as it would be better as you got to know the factions better.

I’ll check out the new Kickstarter when it happens, but it would have to be pretty compelling for me to want to spend more money on this game than the large amount I’ve already spent.

razide
    Participant

Cthulhu Wars: Onslaught Two

Already approaching $500,000 !
    Seven new expansions in addition to the existing 14.

Just how much space would you need to store everything ?
    note that in the original Cthulhu Wars Kickstarter campaign, the shipping weight of the pledge level containing everything had a gross shipping weight of 26.5kg, or 58.4lbs. Additionally, its dimensional size, split among a few boxes, was about 0.16 cubic meters, or about 5.6 cubic feet. That’s a LOT of game. With the 7 new items, it could easily rise by another 5kg, or 11lbs. And that’s why it can cost so much to ship!”

8th
    Participant

I don’t think they should really be charging for shipping on any kickstarter really. They are cutting out the retailers, so profit margins are higher than normal.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.