Home Forums The Gaming Room Demigods Rising (actually Evolution), with unboxing

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    MarcellusWallaceMarcellusWallace
    Participant

Let me start by saying that i wrote a lenghty post last night here and when i clicked submit it only showed an error page. Of course after that everything was gone. So now im gonna write it again just quicker and shorter this time (and save it before submitting). PS: found out it was because i used the youtube-embed-link.

Greetings fellow old and new members of the EOG! It’s that time again when i post something out of nowhere before you quite forgot i even existed. And it seems to be the right time since there are thoughts of closing the forums down. So before that happens i was wondering…

Does anyone have Demigods Rising? (i refuse to call it Evolution since that name makes no sense) Played it? Heard of it? Or even been part of the helltrain of a kickstarter campaign?

If you haven’t, long story short: it was funded on kickstarter in 2014 and has ever since had all kinds of problems and delays. Over the years it also went through some serious reworking of everything and all of the art (which payed off in the end). The problems however didn’t stop UNTIL now finally they hired a company to ship out the game, at least for everyone outside of the EU (those are still in limbo). This doesn’t include the miniatures though, those will follow later, but keeping it short and it is fully playable without them so come on! Stop straying salt into the wounds.

Now i finally received it, too. And i can say it is a lot of fun. It’s a fantasy skirmish game in which 2 or 4 players battle each other in an arena. Each player choosing one of several demigods and a bunch of the many heroes. Like they put it quite nicely themselves: Imagine a full teamfight of a moba game, add turnbased combat like HOMM and put it on a chessboard. Heroes come in different classes and each have different traits and move in another way (that’s the chess part). For example a tank can only move forward and backwards, he has to turn to sidestep. And every action matters, heroes can die quickly if you don’t pay attention, the game can be over in a few rounds.

You can customize everything in the game, each demigod and hero is double-sided with an alternative version with slightly different stats and skills, you can choose between several gamemodes, you can customize the arena layout and obstacles, there are a lot of items to equip your demigods with. The possibilities are a great many.

What they achieved really well is the balance of planning and luck. Everything has fixed number values so you can calculate your movement to an enemy and your damage against their defense, but in the end you also roll one or more dice, which alter the result (good or bad). So you got a pretty good idea what the outcome will be but you never really know, can still be a fail or a swing. However it will never happen that you attack someone which should totally devastate him and you roll a nothing and nothing happens (like it can in Mage Wars for example). Except if you use spells of mages and don’t have enough mana…keeping it short!

On top of all, the components are of a high quality and the artwork throughout looks fantastic. One weird thing though is that about half the hero cards feel rough and lost their shine. I don’t know if that was the printers error or if that came from lying around in some warehouse for 2.5 years. If anyone has experience with this, let me know. Also for my taste the rulebook could use some work and and proper consistency of wording to clear some things up. With so many class traits and skills you sometimes have to decide for yourself how you want to play them.

If you’re interested, take a look at the unboxing video i just finished:

Hope you all had a good start into 2020!

SoulsorcererSoulsorcerer
    Participant

Never came across that game…but it looks interesting and the component quality looks good. I have a stack of 16 KS in various stages of fulfillment and no intention to add to those this year. Too much “not played” stuff around and not enough space to add more…so 2020 will be the year of back-log gaming for me 🙂

Keymaster

Thanks for posting that, and sorry about the forum posting error! Looks interesting, but the saga does seem to highlight the dangers of Kickstarter. Glad you got it in the end and I hope the miniatures show up eventually. It looks like some of the tiles have a varnish and the rest don’t, which is a big error.

Participant

Absolutely. I made some very good and some bad kickstarter experiences. This one at least delivers in the end (who knows if this game will ever be available retail? I sure hope so for the creators). Then there’s this one 3dprinter campaign i backed years ago….
    Things like these did indeed make me more cautious when backing any kickstarter. Of course some campaigns are really worth it money-wise with all the stretchgoals they pump out (eventhough, does anyone ever play all the content you get in the end?) and then there are others that are available at retail at an even lower price making you wonder why not just wait a bit and be on the safe side. And then again it’s exciting to see where a project goes in the process.

Anyway, i played Demigods a couple more times now and can say that it is a very versatile game. You can build your own arenas and just give out everything random and have a fun time. Or go at it very competitive, which already starts in the picking phase to build your team (very close experience to a moba game, trying to counterpick the enemy while building a strong team yourself). Or anything inbetween.

Just hope those miniatures don’t take another 5 years. Was looking forward to painting them.

Participant

Glad to know the game is decent. I’m still waiting on mine from VFI… which will be delayed again due to the Wuhan coronavirus. But I’ve been waiting 4+ years. What’s another few more months? 😉

Participant

Hopefully everyone has received their games by now? I bought mine a few months ago off Ebay with a searate box of 64 miniatures. Initially I thought it was just a skirmish/kill ’em all game and a little uninteresting. As I have played the game more I see that there is strategy throughout, from choosing the right heroes to balance your forces to protecting the physically weak characters, who happen to be extremely powerful magically (keep those mages out of melee range!)
    The rule book isn’t great. I still don’t have any guidance on what you are supposed to do with the 54 demigod cards (not the initial equipment ones). They are mentioned in the contents of the box and the same design is on the back of the rulebook and the back of the cards. That’s it! No mention of where they fit in. I have been playing it with one card to each demigod at the start of each turn. If it isn’t used it goes back to the pack.
    The contents list also states that there are 19 miniatures in the box. Seriously, look at the unboxing. That is a well filled box, with no room for minis at all!? The minis themselves are pretty good but a little fragile when it comes to spears and staffs etc. And I don’t understand why there are 2 of nearly everything? I read somewhere (not in the rule book!) that you can both use the same hero but who would want to do that? And you would have to have some distinguishing features or coloured bases. I will probably get around to painting them eventually but I doubt that I will keep the repeats. They will go back to Ebay.

Participant

Still didn’t get the miniatures yet. Yes all hero cards and figures are doubled so you can pick the same heroes or play mirror matches if you want. And yes, the contents shown in the rulebook are outdated since it was printed long before full completion and things changed.
    About the demigod deck. That is the original gamemode. It is not used in the final version but was included still because it was promised in the kickstarter. The original idea was that the players are the demigods and have their deck of cards instead of having the actual demigods in the arena. Rules how to play with this original mode can’t really be found. You can make your own rules or take them from anyone else who made up their own. I read things like splitting the cards into three decks according to the number of each cards (1 deck each player and 1 for both to draw from and then you choose from which deck you draw. Can’t remember exactly but was something like 3 cards in hand and you can play one each round or something)

Participant

Unfortunately the game will be remembered for the problems rather than how good it is? If it is remembered at all?

Participant

My copy of the game is so close yet so far… it’s literally the last mile and the forwarder said “we will need to wait for the publisher to give the green light to proceed. Not too sure why they on hold the delivery”. It’s insane.

Participant

Ridiculous state of affairs. I have heard of delivery being delayed because of customs charges that need to be paid but never because they need permission from the people who sent it in the first place???!!!

Participant

Ah. I finally received it! After a wait of 5 years. Without the promised minis.

Participant

At least you can play the game now. And the minis are…..where? I have been following the progress, or lack of it, on Kickstarter.Lots of people still with nothing.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.