Home Forums The Study Descent Second edition: Nowhere to hide

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Universal Head 4 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    WonderSlug
    WonderSlug
    Participant

My biggest complaint about Descent is the Line of Sight rules and their effectual elimination of hiding in cover for attack positioning.

For the uninitiated, in Descent second edition, Line of Sight is established if you’re able to draw an uninterrupted line from any corner of the attacker’s square to any corner of the target’s square. The line is not interrupted by diagonally connected obstacles or two figures whose squares are adjacent at a diagonal.

Essentially, this Line of Sight rule makes it very difficult to establish a good “cover and attack” battle plan, since pretty much anywhere on the board (even around corners in many cases) can be attacked, many times in a very counter intuitive and silly way. You know it’s bad when even the attacker prefaces his action with, “I know this is cheesy but I have LOS, and I’m attacking your guy there.”

With the impending release of Descent “Star Wars Edition”, Imperial Assault, we’ve gotten a chance to see many of the rules for the upcoming game. I’m very curious to see how the LOS rules in Imperial Assault would translate to Descent, and plan to try a few test runs with my group as soon as I can get to it. I will be sure to bring my findings to the community.

Universal Head
    Keymaster

I’m with you, this change to the LOS rules was bizarre. In fact I pretty much completely ignore it and just stick with what intuitively feels right, from long experience of playing these kind of games. That usually comes down to a centre point to centre point LOS.

Good point, it will be interesting to see what they do in Assault. Keep us posted!

WonderSlug
    WonderSlug
    Participant

We’ve already been introduced to the LOS rules from Assault through videos, from Essen demos I think?

Anyway, I think there’s a little more to it but generally LOS must be able to draw a line to two corners of the target square instead of just one.

Did Descent 1st edition use center to center? I’ve never played it.

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Yep, it did. Simple, I have no idea why they changed it.

Level 7 (Omega Protocol) is another game with weird and confusing LOS rules.

WonderSlug
    WonderSlug
    Participant

Level 7 (Omega Protocol) is another game with weird and confusing LOS rules.

Really? Can you explain? That one is on my wish list, but I’m sorta on the fence with it.

Universal Head
    Keymaster

I haven’t played it for a while so the info isn’t at the forefront of my brain, but check out the rules summary. Apart from some LOS confusion, it was fun.

MarcellusWallace
    MarcellusWallace
    Participant

I agree, the LoS in Descent 2e is really weird. But i didn’t feel like it changed the game significantly compared to centerspace LoS. Often times it’s an all out attack anyway and the heroes are under too much timepressure to lose time with anything.

How did it change for you when you played with centerspace LoS?

Universal Head
    Keymaster

I just founf some situations that were intuitively fine became ridiculous with 2nd edition – eg, a target that was obviously in cover became hittable. It spoiled the verisimilitude a bit and reminded me I was in a ‘game’.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.