Home Forums The Gaming Room Descent vs Imperial Assault

This topic contains 22 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  CK Lai 2 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 23 total)
  • Author

8th
    Participant

Been thinking about buying Descent as a potential solo game…

But given that Imperial Assault (which I own) is Descent with lightsabers, I think I’ll wait as solo/co-op missions seem inevitable.

CK Lai
    Participant

Depends on whether you like fantasy of SF (or in this case Star Wars). 🙂

There are a couple of AI mods on BGG for Imperial Assault done by a guy named Redjak. Did you try them yet?

Having said that: if you can find a copy of the Descent 2E base game (used) for a decent price, go for it! Forgot to mention the solo/co-op modules FFG is putting out all use the monsters from the base game only. So you’ll get a lot of replyability from that one box.

briscoe999
    Participant

What are the names of the solo modules FFG is putting out for Descent (or are they already out)?? I only have the base game, but i never got it to the table. I was going to sell it – but this solo module thing you mentioned has me intrigued, as i was not aware of FFG doing this. It sounds like it would be right up my alley!

CK Lai
    Participant

@briscoe999: I have Forgotten Souls. Don’t have the rest. Here’s the link for more info:

http://store.fantasyflightgames.com/showproducts.cfm?Step=1&FullCat=369

If I still had my Descent stuff, this would be my preferred way to play Descent. Also, check out the Descent 2E forums on BGG… some users there are trying to combine all 3 modules for greater replayability (I’d ignore the pre-written scenarios and just use the random room set up and loot for a pure dungeon crawl).

briscoe999
    Participant

@CKLai: Thanks for the link! I did not even know those solo/co-op modules existed! I am very glad i did not sell my base game, and I will definitely get Forgotten Souls to start out.

You say “If I still had my Descent stuff, this would be my preferred way to play Descent”…..are you saying you sold your Descent stuff off??

CK Lai
    Participant

@ Briscoe99: Yeah. Sadly, I did. There’s an FB group for Malaysian board gamers and one guy made me an offer I couldn’t refuse 😀

I have too many dungeon crawls as it is: Claustrophobia; Dungeon Saga; Imperial Assault, the D&D Board games (Drizzt & Ashardlaron); Descent 2E; Myth (probably my favourite dungeon crawl of all)… something had to go.

(More dudes on a map would be Tannhauser, Escape: Fighting for Freedom, Sedition Wars, Rise of the Kage…)

But yes, the Descent 2E solo/co-op modules give Descent a breath of fresh air.

WonderSlug
    WonderSlug
    Participant

I’d like to throw in my endorsement for the Descent Co-op modules. I’ve played two of them, and they’re a fantastic new approach to the game. Each one has lots of good atmospheric flavor text and they tell decent little stories if you’re into that.

8th
    Participant

It feels like you’re all ganging up on me, trying to browbeat me into buying Descent.

Only first edition for auction in UK.

Best new price I can find is £50 and none of the solo/co-op in stock at reasonable price. Second hand they’re £25+ which is stupid price when retail is £11.

WonderSlug
    WonderSlug
    Participant

Stupid “I’m American and probably take lots of things for granted” question time.

Does your keyboard have a key for the “£” symbol instead of the dollar sign on the 4 key? Do all keyboards have the appropriate currency symbol on them for their region? I’ve never thought about it till just now. Curious. 🙂

CK Lai
    Participant

@8th: Naaahhhh… we’re not ganging up on you… a good game is a good game 😀

Here’s a UK-based one for £45 with free shipping:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Descent-Journeys-In-The-Dark-Second-Edition-/161913852054?hash=item25b2d15096:g:qGsAAOSwnH1WaVuY

Hmmm… Miniature Mart sells the modules for £17 (inclusive of shipping).

I thought Descent 2E would be easy to pick up used, but looks like the co-op modules have given it a 2nd lease of life? Sorry about that. (And to think Amazon US was selling the modules for $9 about 2 months ago! 😮 )

Would Redjak’s DIY solo variant for IA work for you, then?

CK Lai
    Participant

@wonderslug: The symbols are all there, but hidden behind the Alt or Option keys. On a Mac, it’s alt/option “3” to get the £ sign. If you’re on a Windows PC, it may differ.

8th
    Participant

On a UK Mac the £ is ‘Shift 3’ and $ is ‘Shift 4’.

My Windows keyboard is the same with some weirdness to get the stupid ‘euro’ symbol.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.