Home Forums The Gaming Room Descent vs Imperial Assault

Viewing 11 posts - 13 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    WonderSlugWonderSlug
    Participant

Cool.. Thanks guys. Would appear the keyboards are region specific then, eh? On my keyboard SHIFT+3 is #. Or as the youngsters call it, the hash tag.

For us to get the pound symbol is ALT+0163.

Participant

I’ll give an endorsement to both the FFG co-op/solo variants as well as Redjak’s work for both Descent & SW:IA. The nice thing about Redjak’s variants is that they let you solo/co-op the actual campaigns. This does require letting at least one player in on the surprises of the various encounters – what forces are waiting behind doors, etc. – but this does let me help my 7-year old son through the campaign without playing against him.

As for the FFG modules, as others have said, they are well produced and tell a fun little tale as you go. There is a bit of randomization in what cards come up as well so you will be able to replay a couple of times and have a somewhat unique experience each time in what cards appear at what time.

I’m positive that FFG will do the same with SW:IA. These print on demand modules they have must be pretty inexpensive to produce so I am sure it is only a matter of time.

Participant

@CK
    You mentioned Myth as yout fave…
    I kickstarted the first base game, and I NEVER get it to the table. What am I missing?? Lol

Participant

@Deliverymanxas : Hmmm… if you got the base Kickstarter, you do need to get the 2.0 materials as they clarify and simplify a lot of the rules and unified all the keywords.

What did you miss? It’s a pure solo/co-op dungeon crawl. Right now, the only solo/co-op dungeon crawls available are the D&D ones (Drizzt, Ravenloft etc.). Can’t think of any more pure co-ops that are currently available (aside from buying used on eBay, although tons of co-op dungeon crawls are coming in 2016).

If you’re used to the D&D/FFG games, the turn order is very static. One player activates his character, does everything he wants, then play passes to the next player. When all are done, the Overlord activates. Or one player finishes off his turn, then the automated Overlord activates.

Myth does it differently. You are free to activate in any order you choose, with any actions you use (although you’re limited to one major action in your turn, but you may use as many secondary action as you have available slots). Play can pass back and forth between the players. Example: You can use your Mountain Crumbles spell to blast an opening in the wall of minions facing me… then I slip in and deal 3 damage to the enemy Lair. Then you follow in behind me to destroy the lair with your secondary attack. Then I can activate again to pick up the treasure that dropped after destroying the lair. Then if we have any more slots left, we can play cards to get us out of there before the minions surround us.

Also, the Automated Overlord (AO) turn isn’t always guaranteed. It all depends on how active you are in a given round. The AO could activate 3 rounds from now… or he could activate twice in a round because you were very active and killed off a lot of minions.

But when the AO activates… bad things can happen. Very bad things. Especially if you’ve been extra heroic and dealt a lot of damage. Captains could spawn… or worse, a mini-boss! Or the Lair could explode in your face, dealing you damage and causing a final massive spawn of minions. You never know just what lies around the corner. Unlike Super Dungeon Explore, you don’t necessarily have to destroy to lair to complete the quest… but you do have to finally clear the tile of all enemies before you can progress.

And all 5 characters play very very differently. You really need to play several games with the same character to learn/discover his full potential. Myth was probably the first game to provide such clear differentiation between its main characters. Many games are now doing the same thing.

It’s a pity Megacon games never did extensive blind play-testing to iron out the game’s rules. If they had, and version 1.0 came out as polished as 2.0 is now, Myth would probably rank as high as the best dungeon crawls available (IMHO).

It’s only because of the (deserved, in some cases) criticism the 1.0 rules drew when the game finally appeared that caused the game to fly under the radar, even with the much-improved-that-it’s-practically-a-new-game 2.0 rules.

Sorry. Not easy to answer your question briefly, but hope that gives you a better idea why I enjoy the game so much. you can read my 2 game sessions below to form your own opinion:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1292627/weavers-need-red-wedding

The 2nd game is more a narrative story:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1297507/red-wedding-mad-king

Participant

@CK
    I’ve played it, and we got the 2.0 stuff from Gencon, so I’m good there. I love the game, but it just never makes it to the table.

Wasn’t sure if there was something that I missed.

Participant

@Deliverymanxas : in that case… sell off all your other games? 😀 😀 😀

Yeah time. I’m grateful I have the space (a tiny space to be sure) to set up my own dedicated gaming table. The one thing about board games vs PC games is the setup time. So when I set up a game, I tend to play it for at least a couple of days to maximise gaming time and minimise setup/cleanup time.

So in the case of Myth, I tend to play quest chains for a more complete adventure and just ignore the whole “shuffle in the cards in the quest deck and draw a random quest” thing. For example, I started out with “The Weaver’s Need” quest since that was the one they used for the playthrough example and just finished up the entire quest chain. Very satisfying. My next was “The Mad King”. I’m on the final chapter now, so finishing it will give me my first title.

WonderSlugWonderSlug
    Participant

Can you speak to the setup of each map/scenario?

One of my major turnoffs toward Myth (a game I continuously try to convince myself to like) is much of the encounter setup seems to be based on the player(s)’ choices.

I’m speaking from memory of the Rhado Runs Through review of the game. Don’t the players get to pick which tiles, dungeon arrangement, which monsters will be there, etc.? Thinking of those little icons on the corner of each tile.

To me, the fun of a dungeon crawl is the surprises, the not knowing what’s behind the next door. Getting to pick and choose every aspect of the “quest” I’m about to go on seems a little underwhelming and gives me this “what’s the point” attitude toward it, ya know?

I totally get that there are players who enjoy this type of world building, and from everything I hear this game is fantastic…for those people. I’m just not one of those people. I like someone else to do all the world building, so I can just sit down and be immersed in the adventure, the discovery.

Is it different in 2.0?

Like I said, ever since the Kickstarter campaign which I didn’t back, I’ve looked at this game as something I feel like I SHOULD like, but I just get bored every time I try to learn anything about it.

Participant

I went a little crazy. Five more figure packs for Imperial Assault arrived today. That’s one of everything.

Been giving them a quick and nasty paint job for the most part, with rebel heroes getting most care. I have maybe 20 to finish painting.

Participant

Had my first multiplayer Imperial Assault with RPG group tonight.

Skipped tutorial and went straight to first mission, but rebooted before end as they didn’t realise how crucial time was and were so busy killing imperials they had no chance to complete.

It went to the final turn and last attack for rebels to win.

Next week they will be doing Homecoming to gain Luke Skywalker as an ally.

Tricky bit is timing. We have two hours a week. Hard to complete two missions in that time, but lot of dead air if we do one.

I need a ‘save game’ option.

Keymaster

Yes, the Rebels definitely have to keep in mind that it’s not about killing the bad guys, it’s about completing the mission objectives.

Participant

@WonderSlug Yeah. Can’t help you there if you’re looking for a D&D type of dungeon crawl where each tile and encounter is random and unknown. Myth is not that kind of game.

The fun of Myth is the gameplay. The interactions between the characters is the fun of it, how every character moves and interacts and there’s no one clearly defined player turn. Also the Bad Guy AI doesn’t activate in a consistent way according to turns. It’s fun.

But it’s not that kind of dungeon crawl. It’s more like Descent 2E in that sense. All is known before you go in. But the AI can still throw you some curve balls in the sense of what the spawning does… sometimes Captains and Mini-bosses can spawn. You just don’t know.

Viewing 11 posts - 13 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.