Home Forums The Workshop DIY Terrain

This topic contains 10 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  CK Lai 3 years ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

CK Lai
    Participant

In honour of Universal Head’s terrain tutorials, this is my humble effort at a 2 x 2 table for Alkemy. I only used MDF boards since I can’t find that type of foam board in my country.

Most of the scenery is made up of individual pieces, although there’s a tiny bit built into the terrain boards.

Next up: a 4 x 4 board for Wrath of Kings! I also think I can get a bit more ambitious and add in some hills.

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Fantastic! Nice work.

CK Lai
    Participant

Thanks!

Now after having done this, I know where the flaws are, and how to improve the next iteration.

Isn’t it amazing how you only notice the flaws AFTER you’ve completed the project? 😛

razide
    Participant

Hindsight. If only you could use it before the event.

Your table looks good.
    Did you use one 2×2 piece or four 1×1 pieces ?

CK Lai
    Participant

So true… but then it wouldn’t be called hindsight 😉

Thanks for the kinds words. I used four 1×1 pieces. Like so (the joins are clearer in this photo):

The idea is for it to be modular, like Universal Head’s. The main difference being I didn’t use foam board because I can’t find that particular thickness and density here… it’s all much thinner and less dense, so it kind of falls apart when you slice it.

I also discovered there’s 2 different densities to even MDF. One is a lighter MDF that warps when the liquid PVA is applied and dried. The other is denser, and doesn’t warp post-PVA. Who knew?

So for my next board sections, I’m only getting the denser MDF (pre-cut) boards.

8th
    Participant

Been planing terrain for Warmachine/Hordes, but not got around to it yet… Still struggling to find time to paint army.

Not going down the same path and you and UH have gone as I need it more portable.

I am just going to build terrain features to drop on a battle mat as I have to travel by train and just carrying an army is bulky enough, especially when you include clothes etc for a short stay at friends house.

CK Lai
    Participant

Yeah. Warmahordes does need a 4 x 6 table? I’ve been deliberately looking for games that use a smaller gaming area. So WoK at 4 x 4 is the largest I need to cater for.

Alkemy is only 2 x 2. I’m taking it over to a friend’s house this Saturday to teach him the game.

8th
    Participant

Warmachine is 4×4 in general. Bigger table for really big armies I suspect.

CK Lai
    Participant

Oh, nice, then. 4 x 4 is probably the sweet spot for me. And it seems Warmahordes is gaining popularity in Malaysia over the Warhammer Universe (all flavours, although AoS seems to be garnering a fair bit of attention now).

But 40K is still the 40lb gorilla in the room. No getting away from it.

8th
    Participant

As I understand it, Age of Sigmar has annoyed a lot more than it has pleased.

CK Lai
    Participant

Yup, you’re right. I should’ve been more specific in that I’m only referring to the situation in Malaysia. Those that have jumped ship have jumped ship. Those that have remained are moving on to AoS.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.