Home Forums The Gaming Room Dust 1947 Redesigned Unit Cards

Tagged: 

This topic contains 15 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Universal Head 2 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Dust Studio have just shown an image of the redesigned (AGAIN) Dust 1947 unit cards. Unbelievably, someone decided to remove the image of the unit from the weapon side of the unit card. That’s the most commonly used side of the card, and I don’t want to keep flipping the cards to recognise them at a glance. If anyone who reads this still plays, write to them as I have and ask them to put the photo back!

CK Lai
    Participant

This is where graphics design butts heads with useability. The back of the cards has always been pretty bare as everything was on the front. Looks like someone decided to make the cards look nicer and more “balanced” visually. That left the top left side empty so they decided to increase the font size for the unit name. Looks good. But practical usage takes a huge hit.

Try e-mailing Walter Wu. Although I suspect DS is far enough into the redesign they’re not going to change now.

Universal Head
    Keymaster

The last cards looked fine and they managed to fit everything in. This is a ridiculous decision – and as a graphic designer, I can tell you it should never compromise useability! I emailed the Dust Studio contact address.

Who’s Walter Wu? Do you have a contact?

CK Lai
    Participant

He’s the “Production & Market for whole Dust products”.

His contact: walterwu0903@yahoo.com.hk

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Done. Thanks for that.

CK Lai
    Participant

New Dust 1947 rules available here

8th
    Participant

I like the Dust artwork (can’t go wrong with attractive female soldiers) and the setting is interesting, but I have Tannhäuser and the tanks/planes put me off. Plus Paolo has a bad reputation for delivering product.

Does Dust work without the planes and tanks?

I have an idea for Dust 2016. Alternate reality where UK leaves EU and a man with bad hair is Prime Minister. Across the Atlantic a madman with even worse hair is President. Russia is in the hands of an insane bald warmonger. Korea has a fat nutjob in charge.

Nah! Too far fetched. That’s even less believable than England being knocked out of a football tournament by Poundland.

CK Lai
    Participant

“Does Dust work without the planes and tanks?”

Yes. You can play it as a straight up pure-infantry squad-level skirmish game if you wish.

I have Tannhauser as well. That works well as a small scale skirmish game with 5 minis a side. Dust kicks it up one level. You can buy existing product cheap when FFG/Miniature Market have sales. Avoid any Dust Kickstarters and you’ll be fine.

Universal Head
    Keymaster

I have a very big collection of Dust stuff and enjoy the game, but it’s very annoying, not only to have YET ANOTHER version of the rules out (with ANOTHER set of unit cards), but now to see such an amateurish, ugly book. Couldn’t they have hired a professional graphic designer? I’m gobsmacked to see slabs of page-wide text crammed together like this. Who the hell changes the leading of body text repeatedly on a single page? And once and for all people, it is unacceptable to have A4 pages with a single page-wide text block! The whole thing looks like it was put together by a 15-year-old fan in his bedroom. Disgraceful and borderline unreadable in parts.

I’m sticking with the last version and my existing collection, and I very much doubt I’ll be supporting the game with any new purchases from now on. I’ve had it with being mucked around. At least Battlefront had a decent graphic designer on the payroll.

CK Lai
    Participant

The book does look a bit ugly doesn’t it?

But I suppose it’s their effort to draw in the casual gamer. It LOOKS non-threatening. Never mind the graphic design faux pas.

Universal Head
    Keymaster

I’ve got nothing against the cartoon-style instructional concept, but the layout is a typographical mess. It was the same with the Monolith Conan rulebook. Rulebook layout should be done by professionals not amateurs who know how to use a program but know nothing about typography. I doubt there’s any plan behind it, just a lack of understanding about quality graphic design.

I wrote to two addresses about the silly decision to take off the unit image on the weapon side of the unit cards by the way – no reply. I also notice no one’s taken the opportunity to fix the confusion over the new dice either, when I think it’s pretty universally recognised that the system of icons is confusing.

CK Lai
    Participant

Heh. What’s scary (in my book) is that these aren’t “amateurs who know how to use a program but know nothing about typography” but that these are actual graduates of today’s graphic design schools.

I wonder if they went through the rigorous training we did… kerning, leading, widows, etc. Rather, it seems to me some designers now “break the rules” of good typography without knowing what the rules are.

Still… this means I might settle for the Dust Tactics rules that came out under Battlefront but use the original black dice (which I have a TON of). Haven’t played Dust since the whole Dust/Battlefront brouhaha because I was told new rules (Dust 3.0?) were coming. Now that they are here… hmmmmm…

Or cherry-pick the parts of all 3 rules versions I like to come up with my own Frankenstein Rules version 😛

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.