Home Forums The Kitchen Evil High Priest

This topic contains 12 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  The8thPagan 1 month ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Evil High Priest by Petersen Games has launched! I had the pleasure of editing and designing the rulebook. I reckon it’s going to be a very cool game.

The8thPagan
    Participant

Saw it earlier today. First impressions were not great. Looks messy on the table.

Plus it’s Sandy Peterson and Cthulhu…

Getting a bit sick of Cthulhu games (never thought I’d say that)…

And Sandy Peterson has a problem with deadlines… he misses them by a year, or more.

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Sandy Petersen and Cthulhu – he’s the guy almost single-handedly responsible for H.P. Lovecraft not being forgotten in the modern age! I went briefly fanboy when we talked on Skype, I had the original edition of Call of Cthulhu.

Well, I can tell you I’ve ben deeply immersed in this one for a while now, and I’m really looking forward to playing it.

As for deadlines, I can also confirm this is all ready to roll, so there’s no reason for delays.

The8thPagan
    Participant

I own 2nd, 5th and 7th edition Cthulhu including the recent Horror on the Orient Express. Also have Achtung Cthulhu, Cthulhu card game, Arkham Horror (I even owned the first Arkham Horror before ffg), Eldritch Horror, Arkham Horror LCG, Mansions of a Madness (1st and 2nd Edition), Pandemic Cthulhu and Elder Sign.

I’ve read the Lovecraft books and the FFG fiction.

I’m a big fan of the Cthulhu Mythos.

But in recent years it’s just been a constant barrage of Cthulhu games…

And there’s something about Sandy Peterson that I don’t trust… he reminds of one of those evangelical American con artist preachers.

But that’s just my opinion…

As for the game… it just doesn’t work for me.

Sorry if this sounds like a rant and you are welcome to delete the post…

Universal Head
    Keymaster

It’s not a rant, you’re certainly entitled to your opinion. 🙂

I don’t know the history of the Cthulhu Wars Kickstarters (I bought my copy direct after the campaign, and BTW I had a dodgy board that was speedily replaced), but delivery problems were probably just due to inexperience. As far as I know everyone got their stuff and they’re completely reputable, and they’ll around for the long haul. People keep backing their campaigns.

Certainly if anyone has the right to do Cthulhu-themed games, it’s him; it’s not like he’s a Johnny-Come-Lately to the theme!

The8thPagan
    Participant

Just seems to me that Sandy Peterson gets more respect than HP Lovecraft.

Without HP there would be no Sandy.

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Ummm … I’m not sure where you got that idea. 🙂

CK Lai
    Participant

Heh. I backed Cthulhu Wars 3 and I have Pandemic : Reign of Cthulhu and Elder Sign and I reckon that’s as many Cthulhu themed games as I want to play or own… with maybe Deep Madness giving a tip of the hat to dear old HP.

The8thPagan
    Participant

HP created the setting. All SP did was attach some rules and stat up the monsters.

Universal Head
    Keymaster

No one’s comparing Petersen to Lovecraft, that would be ridiculous; and I’ve never heard of anyone giving more ‘respect’ to the former than the latter. No one but the most uninformed thinks Petersen invented any of the Mythos. I would be confident saying, however, that if it wasn’t for Call of Cthulhu, Lovecraft would be known by the general public about as well as Algernon Blackwood or Sheridan Le Fanu are – ie, by afficionados of weird fiction only.

That’s certainly having an impact on popular culture, but of course it certainly doesn’t detract from Lovecraft’s achievements in any way or set up any basis of comparison.

If people think Petersen copies/benefits from from Lovecraft’s ideas – well, people have been copying his ideas since he started writing his stories, and in fact he actively encouraged it when he was alive. He copied other people’s ideas too, like those of Robert W. Chambers for instance.

If he was alive Lovecraft might not have liked the idea of fluffy Cthulhu slippers – then again he might have, he had a decent sense of humour – but he least he probably would have enjoyed the royalty cheques and eaten properly! 🙂

The8thPagan
    Participant

I think we’re way off topic now, thanks to my rant, sorry about that.

But I am getting tired of the same things being revised, or updated and the same inspiration being used time and again.

I don’t just mean Cthulhu. There are more guilty parties.

And it’s not just games, but TV and movies.

I heard a rumour that they’re thinking of Lord of the Rings… the TV series… Seriously? 10+ hours of movie isn’t enough?

Universal Head
    Keymaster

It’s a symptom of aging 8thP – to the kids this is all exciting and new; we’ve just seen it all before. 🙂

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.