Home Forums The Workshop Favorite modeling supplies (paints, brushes, other bits)

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Universal Head 2 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Kent
    Kent
    Participant

So I am getting back into painting this weekend and realized that I somehow lost the majority of my supplies when I moved across the country last year. Looking for suggestions on quality paints, brushes, glue, and anything else you guys use on a regular basis when modeling. Luckily I still have a couple of jars of Citadel paint laying around…

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Stocking up on paints is expensive but once you have a good range they last a while and you only have to make occasional replacements. I use the Citadel paints, with a few Vallejo and Army Painter bits and bobs (mostly washes) thrown in. You can really prune down the Citadel range because it is ridiculously comprehensive; I’m sure some of the paints are just other paints with a bit of white mixed in. And you don’t need things like the ‘dry’ range. A basic understanding of colour theory helps here – eg adding yellow or white to green gives you two different green highlight colours.

I use a few Windsor and Newtown Series 7 Kolinsky Sable brushes, say a 1 and 00 to start with – don’t bother with cheap brushes (except for drybrushing). Learn how to care for them though.

The Privateer Press wet palette is the most revolutionary addition to my painting arsenal in years, and it is absolutely worth getting. It makes paints last longer, and blending easier. Get one or make one yourself.

For prep, you’ll need some needle files (one with a flat side and a rounded side is the most useful), a metal scalpel with changeable blades, and a pair of plastic clippers. Don’t get the overpriced GW versions, they’re just as good and cheaper at art supply and hardware stores. A self-healing mat is pretty essential too.

I bought acyrlic paint racks from Back-2-Base-ix which are pretty handy.

Have fun!

Kent
    Kent
    Participant

Ran to the local hobby store and stocked up on a handful of Sable brushes (000, 00, 0, 1) and a palette. I’ve been trying to go through the Citadel line to choose 5-7 paints to add to my current stock. Before I can buy my new colors though I need to finalize what all I plan on painting the rest of this year.

I’m curious, do you use separate painting techniques for metal miniatures as compared to plastic miniatures? I have a box of metal minis coming up and almost all of my painting experience has been on plastic GW minis.

Thanks for all the help!

Universal Head
    Keymaster

No, same techniques. I just give plastic minis a bit of a wash and light scrub in water with a bit of detergent first.

MarcellusWallace
    MarcellusWallace
    Participant

I can also highly recommend a Winsor & Newton (even though i like your version too UH :D) series 7; at least a 1 (not the miniature one)
    Link for ease: http://m.winsornewton.com/row/shop/brushes/water-colour/series-7-kolinsky-sable-brushes/series-7-kolinsky-sable-brush-round-short-handle-size-000-brush-5007030

And a wet palette. Making one yourself is very easy and will greatly improve the worktime and -flow.
    Here’s a nice guide to diy: http://massivevoodoo.blogspot.ch/2009/10/tutorial-wet-palette.html?m=1

As for colors i guess everyone has his own favorites. I use some GW, some army painter and some vallejo model color. Anything will be fine i guess.

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Windsor and Newtown. The choice for miniadure pwainters.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.