Home Forums The Gaming Room FFG and GW split

This topic contains 21 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Soulsorcerer Soulsorcerer 2 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 22 total)
  • Author

CK Lai
    Participant

Sigh. The divorce is official.

There goes my Warhammer Quest Adventure Card Game. Orphaned with no more expansions, quests, campaigns… 🙁

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/9/9/a-new-path-forward/

Soulsorcerer
    Soulsorcerer
    Participant

@CK Lai Is it worth getting with just base game and 2 expansions?

8th
    Participant

Not played it much myself, but bought the hero expansions. They must have known the end was nigh when they released the base set

CK Lai
    Participant

@Soulsorceror : it’s a great game system. Really gives you the feeling of a dungeon crawl with just a few cards.

If you do get it, you’ll have to be content with home brew quests, heroes, bosses, monsters. A number are available on BGG.

8th
    Participant

I have often been tempted by Warhammer FRP 3rd edition, but managed to resist thus far.

Now it’s going out of print the urge returns. More so as no doubt GW are going to force it to join the Age of Sigmar for 4th edition.

I know the system shares some common features with Star Wars by FFG, so have an inkling of what it’s like, but it seems to be a mixture of cards and custom dice.

Is it worth the asking price?

Soulsorcerer
    Soulsorcerer
    Participant

I can´t tell someone else if the price is worth it…thats up to each individualy. I have the big box with all the cards and tokens and like it. But I can say that all the stuff that makes it “different” is optional. If you do not like the dice-mechanic (like in SW) than do not use it. But if you give it a try…its a rather simple mechanic that “pushes” you from a combat oriented style to a more narrative style..while still fighting ;-). If that is not your cup of tea…also fine…you do not need it. The cards are the same thing…so much so that there is even a “normal” book without them. In essence they are the same as the gale force nine supplements to D&D…you have every information you need…be it items,spells or feats…at hand for easy reference…no bookflipping needed. I find it really cool and like 3rd for that. The only thing I have to complain about is the writing and editing of FFG…lets say that if you are used to writing that explains in depth but still is easy to understand and to the point, is build up in a logical order, easy to reference and has everything in one place…find another book. But that might be just me…I tend to get tired after the third time some not so importent info gets repeated for no reason when I am still waiting for some really vital info 😉

Universal Head
    Keymaster

I played WQA:ACG a few times solo and wasn’t particularly impressed. It’s funny how it seems to be the one everyone is sad to see go. As for WFRP3, I’ve talked about that elsewhere. I put a lot of energy and money into it, but I’d now say if you want to start a WFRP campaign, go for 2nd edition. 3rd edition is too reliant on components, especially endless cards. There were some innovative ideas, but in execution it all became a bit of a mess.

I’d really be interested to know if this ‘split’ was due to FFG developing the Runewars miniatures game, but I suspect the licence agreemnt had just run its course and neither came side to an agreement on its renewal.

Everyone should grab a copy of Chaos in the Old World and Fury of Dracula 3rd Edition though! Blood Bowl: Team Manager is good to.

CK Lai
    Participant

@UH: I think WHQ:ACG was fun because they really did pack a dungeon crawl experience into just a few cards. (Of course, YMMV whether you like that experience or not). Plus the set-up time is really minimal compared to almost every other dungeon crawl there is out there… Descent, etc.

I think we are all moaning the wasted potential of the game. The system had so much to offer, due to its quest format, leveling up, etc. I can easily see a longer campaign, different campaigns, different campaign mechanics, bosses etc.

Wasted. Sigh.

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Yep, fair enough. Which seems to point towards FFG expecting the licence to continue. W40K: Conquest was in pretty early days too.

So perhaps it comes down to GW wanting to do boardgames themselves and pulling the plug. Or them getting annoyed at FFG straying into tabletop miniature territory.

8th
    Participant

We’ll probably never know the real reason. But two warhammer quest games within months of each other could be part of the problem.

Soulsorcerer
    Soulsorcerer
    Participant

I read elsewhere that GW was not happy with the miniature games from FFG…starting with huge hit x-wing and following with imperial assault. They supposedly asked FFG to not sell them as they saw them as competition to their games and “threatend” to not renew the license. As FFG had no intention to drop those megasellers they new that the license would go and that they could do something like runwars the miniature game to expand on the succes of some gameplay parts of the other games in one of their ip´s.

That sounds to me like something that could have happend….especially the protectiv part of GW….and with asmodee in the back FFG could live with loosing the license and with it a significant amount of money.

So…anyone going to “invest” in some of the games to be sold at 3 to 4 times the price next year? 🙂

And now lets hope for the next big hit from FFG….”Star Wars The Miniature Game” ^^

8th
    Participant

That already exists. It’s called Imperial Assault – Skirmish mode.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.