Home Forums The Gaming Room For a non-wargamer. What's make makes each one special / unique?

Viewing 12 posts - 25 through 36 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Participant

No, no, no… ship them all to me in Malaysia… shipping is MUCH cheaper! I promise I’ll have a special room ready to house them all for you 🙂

Keymaster

Hilarious! No, not really. 😉

Participant

No, really… shipping them all to me in Malaysia is MUCH cheaper than buying a house in NZ to store them in.

Think of it as “outsourcing” 😀

Keymaster

We might live in the house too. Kill two birds and all that …

Participant

Have you considered building a house out of foam board?

Keymaster

That stuff is expensive!

Participant

Yeah, but if you spray a layer of watered-down PVA over it, it’ll last you for YEARS.

Keymaster

Of course, I’ve forgotten my own tips!

Participant

Bought myself a Warmachine army and some mercenary allies.

Had to get a pin drill to attach some limbs.

Mixture of metal and plastic.

Lots of assembly going on. Tedious. Painful. Irritating. Challenging. Just some of the words that come to mind.

Some of the other words are, as Spock would say, “Colourful metaphors”.

Participant

Ok. Went a bit Warmachine crazy. So much stuff to paint. The All-in-one-army boxes have A5 rules books that prove challenging to read as they are really small.

What I need some sort of rules summary sheet.

As EOG doesn’t have one… can anyone point me to good summary elsewhere?

Keymaster

I did do a summary sheet for Warmachine, but it’s for first edition, so I have no idea what is up to date in it and what isn’t. It’s something I’ll update when I get my armies back from storage.

Participant

There are of course numerous other traditional miniatures tabletop rules for:
    – Ancients (e.g. de bellis multitudinis)
    – Napoleonics (e.g. Shako, just Google “napoleonic tabletop wargaming”) and
    – WW2 (Battlefront’s Flames of War being one I playtested for when it first appeared around 2001).

These are where it all started really, so if you’re into a more traditional style of game there are plenty to choose from. HG Wells wrote the first set of tabletop gaming rules, Little Wars in 1913. Prescient timing!

I guess the advantage of something like Wrath of Kings or Dust is that it’s a complete package of rules and figures, although be warned, the time required to construct, de-scale, wash, base, prime and paint the WoK figures is considerable, and you have to do at least two factions unless your gaming buddy does one. This is why it’s important to try before you commit if you can (or watch us stumble through a game session on EOG), because you’re buying into a whole ‘game system’, and if you discover you don’t like the rules much then it’s a wasted investment.

On the other hand, if the figures are pre-painted, that takes the edge off…

Viewing 12 posts - 25 through 36 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.