Home Forums The Storage Room Forbidden Stars Insert

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  singulusoculus 3 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #9978

    singulusoculus
    Participant

    Such a beautiful game deserves better storage than the usual FFG cardboard insert.

    This is my first project to use SketchUp in the design process. It made it possible for this design to make great use of space and prepare for future expansions at the same time. I am really happy with the results.

    Here is a link to some images. You can also see some of my other inserts here too. Feedback is very much welcomed.

    https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/193208/item/3987492#item3987492

    #9979

    Universal Head
    Keymaster

    Very nice indeed, and more complex than the version I came up with!

    #9980

    singulusoculus
    Participant

    I’m very interested to see what you came up with. Your inserts are always well done.

    #10004
    WonderSlug
    WonderSlug
    Participant

    Hey Brian!!!

    How am I supposed to come here and brag about the insert you designed if you already did it!?

    Anyway. I won’t post my pics now. 😉

    Would you mind walking me through your approach to designing in the computer?

    I always use Peter’s approach and start with a box, lay out all my “stuff” and see how best to fit as I go.

    Did you lay out roughly the components and take measurements, so you’d have an idea of how big each tray needed to be in SketchUp, etc..?

    #10007
    WonderSlug
    WonderSlug
    Participant

    Oh, what the hell?

    Here’s my variant. Brilliant design by Brian. I just switched around the player tray a bit to allow for sleeved cards and make it easier to skoop them out.

    https://plus.google.com/+CurtisDelaney/posts/imK6EpstnZo

    #10008

    Universal Head
    Keymaster

    This design approach is so much better than mine I may have to do mine again…

    #10009

    singulusoculus
    Participant

    When I built this one I started by taking measurements of the major components. I knew I wanted all of the player pieces stores together and I wanted the sector tiles in the center at the top. Don’t know why, just liked the idea. Then I went to SketchUp and did a rough “sketch up” of the player box and top layer.

    Originally I was going to angle the cards so you could draw them from the box but thinking about how the game would play out it didn’t make as much sense. I landed on the height of the box based on being able to add more to house future expansions. Anyway, once I had the basic dimensions, I built one and started trying out different component configurations in that box. That led to figuring I could raise different sections to make the components easier to get to and create some extra storage.

    Same basic stuff for the top layer. I knew how deep the top layer would need to be based on the combined thickness of the sector tiles. So I built one of the surround boxes and started fitting stuff in the best I could, coming up with the raised storage to make it more accessible and make better use of space.

    So, short answer. I took measurements and got rough dimensions from SketchUp. Then mocked up a box and started seeing how it all fit together.

    I feel fortunate that everything went as well as it did the first time. I’m sure there will be some inserts that just need to be laid out first. But Forbidden Stars really benefitted from using SketchUp. I feel like I got a lot out of the available space.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.