Home Forums The Gaming Room Game Recommendation: Sons of Anarchy

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Universal Head 3 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Brent
    Participant

I was wrong.

I am not a huge facebook guy, I post once or twice a year and otherwise pretty much ignore anything that is not directly sent to me. About a year ago I made a post that claimed “Worker Placement is the New Roll & Move”. Of course I said it to be inflammatory – and it was. Lots of folks jumped all over the comment and told me that I was crazy.

I thought I had seen all there is to see in a Worker Placement milieu, much like I think I have seen everything Roll and Move has to offer.

Along comes a bunch of leather clad dudes on motorcycles with the intent of convincing me otherwise. In the Sons of Anarchy game the board builds in the first three rounds. The building is of locations where you can place your workers (motorcycle gang members and pledges). There are also a few cards that come up and some of them are temporary locations you can place workers. Of course the standard Worker Placement system is in place, the locations generate resources or utilize resources to ultimately gain you cash (most cash wins the game).

In other worker placement games, placement is king. Your worker is there and gets to do the action and there is nothing I can do about it. The competition usually revolves around the passive aggressive placing of workers in areas you want before the opponent grabs those areas and locks you out.

In Sons of Anarchy the interesting twist is – our workers can fight over the locations. Never before have I seen a bunch of gang members have a gun battle in an adult video studio over a duffle bag of drugs – in a Worker Placement game. I was wrong and now I have to retract my comment on Facebook. Rats!

The game is fun, and tense with interesting decisions and deals flying all over the table. I recommend it.

Peace

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Thanks for that Brent! I was just at Battlefront (who own Gale Force Nine) and they seemed pretty proud of this one. I’m really looking forward to getting a copy and giving it the EOG treatment. 🙂

Brent
    Participant

Keep in mind it IS a worker placement game – there is no getting around that. The fights over the locations are really what make this game fun. The combat math is pretty easy to do; each Motorcycle Guy add 2, each Pledge add 1. After that each of us will secretly and independently decide if we will bring guns to the fight (hold out a fist, reveal to show guns or the lack of them. Each gun adds 3. Then we roll a d6, and the higher total wins the fight.

There is also a reinforcement phase where you can bring in guys from other locations to help in the fight and a couple other small rules around fights but that is pretty much it.

Guns have consequences, guys end up in the hospital (guaranteed) and might die, guns also bring heat from the cops which can limit your ability to make cash. The guns used are also discarded and sometimes they can be hard to acquire and cost a lot of cash. The decision to use guns in a fight is something not to be decided lightly.

The deals and conversations around them are loads of fun. “Hey UH, how about we just have a fist fight over the liquor store, leave guns out of it and just let the better man win (die roll decide), in return I will have my guys in the bar leave so you can collect the cash?” “Sure Brent, sounds like a fine deal”. Then we both secretly decide to throw guns into the mix or not. Of course, you could also say “Nope, I can take the heat, but I see you have a lot of heat already, besides – I don’t think you even have any guns left, bring it on dude!”.

It also does have the dreaded “OK, Game Over – everybody add up their Victory Points”. Granted there is only one kind of VP and it is Cash so you don’t need a spreadsheet or notepad to add up a bunch of different points.

I hope you enjoy it!

Peace

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Sounds great fun, I’m really looking forward to it. Especially like the idea of the last minute double-crossing. 🙂

WonderSlug
    WonderSlug
    Participant

Wow! I really hadn’t considered this game, as I usually don’t like worker placement or “most VP wins” games, but the theme here really is tempting me.

Thanks for the write up.

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Hey lads, this one just arrived in the mail, so look out for some coverage of it soon.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.