Home Forums The Workshop Giving up during my first painting job.

Viewing 12 posts - 13 through 24 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Tangram11Tangram11
    Participant

You might also consider tracking down a local minis group, take your minis and paints along and ask for advice hands on.

In Melbourne, I think there is a group that meets regularly at Games Laboratory.

KilledbyDiceKilledbyDice
    Participant

I personally use a combination of Vallejo paints and Citadel paints and find them both to be workable.

It didn’t come up and sometimes the simplest of idea may be the solution but did you wash your models prior to painting them? I mean literally wash them with soap and give them a good scrub with an old toothbrush. There is an oily residue left on models from the manufacture phase which is never washed off unless the consumer does it themselves.

I’m pretty new to this myself and have seen countless video tutorials on painting but I don’t think I’ve ever seen any of them actually mention or show them washing the models/minis.

Alternatively you can strip the paint from the models if it really is that bad to save yourself having to rebuy them.

Hope this helps, don’t give up.

Keymaster

Ahh, I mention it many times in my video tutorials! Though in this case since he’d already primed the figures I assumed he’d done the washing. Important tip though.

BremicBremic
    Participant

I did wash them, but I think I may need to be more thorough next time.

I put them in a tub of lukewarm water with some detergent and agitated them around a little. I washed my hands first and then basically used my fingers to rub them down. I didn’t use the brush – next time I will.

I have to say the Citadel paints went over the layers I had done beautifully. I expect I need to dilute them down a bit more, and therefore be more careful; but that will come with practice.

Keymaster

I find an old toothbrush does the trick for the cleaning – you don’t have to be too thorough.

BremicBremic
    Participant

After way more hours than I hoped it would take, here are the finished Red Cosmic Encounter ships.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ioyss9hymdhz2ni/CE%20Red.JPG

The next set should be a lot faster.

Edit: Can’t get direct image linking to dropbox working.

Keymaster

Not the first things I would have thought of painting, but they look great! Well done.

leoneleone
    Participant

never give up m8 , i’ve been painting for approx 20 years now , i’ll never make it to golden deamon level , but i can say that my mini’s now look really nice , you should see my first mini that i painted , i still have it on display with all the rest , it looks like crap but practise makes golden ( i think )
    just keep on going , start with the basics and if you’re stuck , feel free to ask for advice , will be glad to help

BremicBremic
    Participant

Second project finished.

Descent Cave Spiders

Thanks again everyone for the encouragement.

Keymaster

Fantastic, they look great! Bloody expert already. 🙂

BremicBremic
    Participant

Expert already? What makes you say that?

I am really happy with how they turned out, but they don’t look anywhere near as good as a lot of the stuff I have seen posted.

After doing a few sets of painting with various paints, I got out the original one that caused all the problems, and it’s still the same. I ended up throwing it out as faulty. It’s a shame my first experience was so bad and negative, and if it wasn’t for the encouragement I would have given the whole thing up as a bad joke. Thanks again.

Keymaster

Just being encouraging my friend! 🙂

Viewing 12 posts - 13 through 24 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.