Home Forums The Reception Hall Greetings!

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Universal Head 7 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    brian
    brian
    Participant

Hello Peter and everyone! My name is Brian and I started and run a subscription box for board games called Game Box Monthly. The number one most frustrating thing I come across when looking for games to add to our catalog is a game that would otherwise be great except for the fact that its rulebook is a mess.

We really try to focus on the experience of playing a game and too often learning the rules is the worst part of that. That’s why it was awesome to find EOG. I’m hoping that if I hang around here a little bit, you guys can teach me a thing or two that will help me improve the game play experience for the games we send.

Thanks everyone!

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Welcome to the EOG Brian. You’re very welcome, but please don’t use the EOG summaries as part of a commercial enterprise.

With that out of the way, I hope you’ll enjoy the EOG! 🙂
    Peter (Universal Head)

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Hey Brian, I see you’ve signed up as a Steward – thankyou! Please don’t think my comment abrupt, I just often get requests from boardgame-related businesses asking to incorporate my sheets into their systems, and I thought I’d head that train off at the pass in case this was the same situation.

Again, you’re most welcome to the EOG – and thankyou for the support.

Soulsorcerer
    Soulsorcerer
    Participant

Hi Brian…welcome!!!

brian
    brian
    Participant

Thanks for the warm welcome and no worries, I would never use someone else’s work without their permission. But that being said, I’d love to talk to anybody that was interested in creating or sharing content that we can use. Learning and getting comfortable with a new game is the single biggest experience hurdle we face as part of Game Box Monthly, so I’m always looking for ways we can improve on that experience. EOG seems like an especially astute community of board game lovers, so I had to come say hello and introduce myself. 🙂

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Well, I’m astute, but I’m not sure I can say the same for the rest of this rag-tag lot! LOL 🙂

I’m doing my best to make playing games easier and more fun for people, though I tend to think of my summaries as being the rules replacement after you’ve read the rules. The original idea was to allow me to completely bypass having to re-read the big rulebook each time I came back to a game, and also to have something easily referenced and comprehensive, so I didn’t have to search through the rulebook during a game. Reading the rulebook the first time is great for the examples of play, the background fluff, etc, but after that you just want the rules in as succinct a form as possible. That’s where my summaries come in I think.

An excellent way to learn new games is to watch a Watch It Played! video, if there is one for the game. Rodney is the best video rules instructor out there, and covers rules in a beautifully clear and comprehensive manner. And he’s a nice bloke!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.