Home Forums The Reception Hall Greetings from Malaysia!

This topic contains 50 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  razide 3 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 51 total)
  • Author

CK Lai
    Participant

Hi all!

I’ve been lurking around for a while now… and finally decided to sign up thanks to Wrath of Kings.

I started wargaming at a very early age… Napoleonics was how I started. Then work got in the way and all my gaming buddies split up.

What got me back into the hobby was… Battlelore! But that was after the Battleloremaster.com web site morphed into this one.

Now I’ve got more games than I know what to do with… but thankfully a bit more time to play them also (not much, but about once a week). Wrath of Kings and Dust Tactics are my two preferred minis games right now. Myth, Tannhauser, Dungeon Command, Descent 2nd Ed for my board games.

I have a wonderful wife who not only supports my hobby, she also joins me when I game (sometimes). What more could a guy ask for? (Besides lots and lots of cash to buy more toys to play with, that is).

Thanks to Universal Head for providing this great site and resource, and that’s all from me for now!

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Welcome! Great to have you here.

BattleLoreMaster.com is still there, just, well, dead. But the body can be viewed.

You’ll be happy to know that battle reports for both Wrath of Kings and Dust Battlefield are on the way in the weeks to come.

CK Lai
    Participant

Hello and thnak you for the welcome 🙂

I look forward to the WoK and Dust game reports. I’ve already played about 10 games of WoK. Would like to get your view/review as well.

Also, since everyone’s mentioned how similar WoK is to Rackham’s Confrontation (the Skorza are the Wolfen’s first cousins it seems) what do you think of the 2 games? I’m looking at picking up the Scorpion and either the Wolfen or Griffen factions for cheap.

Or does WoK scratch that itch enough that there’s not much point?

Haven’t played Dust Battlefield as I prefer Tactics. Don’t need to measure although I have the terrain for it 🙂

Universal Head
    Keymaster

I’ve played only 2 games of WoK now, but I really enjoyed it. It has a different feel from Confrontation of course; more streamlined, perhaps less ‘epic’, but faster and easier to play. WoK may be the new quick fantasy tabletop game of choice I think, but I’ll always enjoy the occasional game of Confrontation, because I have enough figures to field relatively big armies. I’m not sure if I’d bother getting into it if I already had all the WoK stuff though.

CK Lai
    Participant

Thanks for the clarifications. Although I’m intrigued by the “more streamlined, perhaps less ‘epic’” part 🙂

Maybe I’ll get the Scorpion faction and retrofit it to WoK. Haha.

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Just first impressions. I’ve only played WoK twice!

CK Lai
    Participant

BTW, speaking of Confrontation: I have an opportunity to get an almost new copy of Hybrid and its expansion for a decent price. It’s not cheap, but doesn’t cost an arm and a leg either. Probably full retail for a game like Imperial Assault and the inevitable big box expansion that will doubtless come out.

Do you think it’s worth it? Opinions range from “the rules are junk” to “one of the best board game skirmish games available”.

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Though I spent AGES getting the rules summary right, I’ve never played it, but I’ve read good reports of its gameplay. And the figures are metal and very nice.

CK Lai
    Participant

Wow. That’s dedication 🙂

I thought from the amount of work you put in that you’d already played the game.

Thanks for your input!

PS. There seems to be a lot of recent re-interest in Confrontation and even Hybrid as there’s a lot of video and gameplay reviews out on youtube (surprisingly). More than a game of similar vintage: Battlelore 1st Ed.

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Apart from my own, I can’t see any newish Confrontation videos – can you point me to them?

CK Lai
    Participant

Sorry. I meant Hybrid. Not the main Confrontation game. 🙁

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Ahh, must watch those battle reports.

Anyway, I reckon it’s probably worth picking up if you have the opportunity to grab it. It will probably never return in such an elaborate form.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 51 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.