Home Forums The Reception Hall Greetings!

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by TheDeadlyCake TheDeadlyCake 3 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    TheDeadlyCake
    TheDeadlyCake
    Participant

Hello friends!

I thought I would just drop by and say hello and also a big thanks to Universal Head for the Deadzone videos.

I’m English but moved to Brisbane with my Australian wife 8 years ago. We live with our 3 rescue cats and 2 rescue Greyhounds.

I’ve been playing games on and off in casual groups for most of my adult life (I’m 34) but never really got into owning any or the hobby side with building and painting miniatures.

Some friends started a Descent 2e group which I joined, I discovered this site through rules summary which really helped us a number of times!

In April this year a friend bought me an X Wing starter set for my birthday and I was hooked! After enjoying the high theme fighting with little spaceships I started picking up other games.

My first painting attempt was Zombicide (I say first, I ruined Hero Quest when I was 14 with some model aeroplane paints) which I am just finishing this week. ( http://imgur.com/a/oubrD < Here are some pics if you are interested). I’ve done the survivors as well, just waiting to dull coat them.

I started putting Deadzone together yesterday. It arrived weeks and weeks ago but all the tiny pieces and lack of instructions terrified me. Finding the videos really really helped and I managed to get the Enforcers assembled yesterday. Hopefully will get on to the plague and the scenery today. I’ve off on long service leave so get the whole week to put games together! Looking forward to painting this one.

After Deadzone the next project will be Space Hulk. I’ve wanted Space Hulk since I was a kid and missed out on the 2009 release but managed to grab the 2014 one.

So yeah, ‘hello’ and thanks for all the wonderful resources!

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Welcome – love that username. 😉 Damn nice work on those Zombicide figures.

I’m half done on Space Hulk (unfortunately it’s in storage at the moment) – it’s a big project, that one.

Great to have you join us DC!

Uthoroc
    Uthoroc
    Participant

The zombies are indeed awesome, and the photography is pretty slick too. I love the crowd shots. Kudos!

TheDeadlyCake
    TheDeadlyCake
    Participant

Thanks chaps!

I’m really looking forward to Space Hulk but need to get Deadzone sorted first. I used greenstuff for the first time yesterday, on nearly every figure. That was quite the learning curve.

As soon as the shops open I am going to pop out and get some kitty litter for the bases (the stuff we have at home is those weird crystals which I don’t think would work). $15 in GW for a small tub of sand. Madness.

I usually photograph people (http://jamesdebenham.com) but shooting minis was quite nice as they are already posing and don’t move! Should be able to grab a few snaps of the survivors later on today.

Uthoroc
    Uthoroc
    Participant

What I use for bases is bird sand, with the larger bits sieved out (a kitchen sieve worked fine for that). The larger grains can be used for pebbles and then some kitty litter for larger stones. Here’s how it comes out:

TheDeadlyCake
    TheDeadlyCake
    Participant

Oh nice! This will be my first attempt at basing. I’ll see what I can find at the shops!

TheDeadlyCake
    TheDeadlyCake
    Participant

Just 6 or so short weeks later I am finally nearly done with Deadzone!

Enforcers

Plague

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Wow, beautifully done James, any chance you can link to larger shots? I was really impressed with your portrait portfolio too.

TheDeadlyCake
    TheDeadlyCake
    Participant

Thanks! The Flickr album has higher res:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jamesdebenham/sets/72157649658064910

Been playing all day today and keep losing to plague guys get on top my Enforcers. Just don’t seem to be able to hold them off!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.