Home Forums The Artist’s Studio GW Contrast Paints

This topic contains 9 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Avatar Universal Head 6 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Soulsorcerer
    Soulsorcerer
    Participant

So…after some info’s are now available I am looking forward to those paints. Making painting more accessible is always a good thing. And if it does not only make things easier and speed things up but also has good results…hurrah! 🙂

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Yes, anything that speeds up painting is good, though I haven’t been blown away by the samples they’re showing. That video I linked to from Twitter looked more promising.

Soulsorcerer
    Soulsorcerer
    Participant

You are right…some of the figures don´t look impressiv. But it might depend on who uses them.

https://citadelcolour.com/playlist/6039187301001/6038117442001

At 0:45 Duncan shows a really great looking Chaos Marine entirely painted with Contrast paints…and it looks great.
    Just how much can a noob do with those paints…that will be interesting to see.

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Looks like there might be problems with streaky coverage. I’m still not convinced this is a whole lot better than putting down a base coat followed by a wash, to be honest. Or perhaps painting over a white primer is new and radical these days, even though I never stopped doing it!

Soulsorcerer
    Soulsorcerer
    Participant

I do not think that it is aiming at “better”. It looks like it aims at “faster” then base coat+wash. I will wait for some more vids like these:

From 2:52 he paints a Space Marine in different methods…I find the pics and his thoughts interesting.

Universal Head
    Keymaster

I mean that since the extra step with the original process is just a wash, which is super fast, that old way of doing things may still be better as you don’t have the streaking, but you have a more defined shadow in the creases.

That said, I’m not seing any streaking in this video. Great video (I especially like that he discusses his failed experiment) and I like the way there’s a lot of experimentation going on with the new paints as people discover the options. I love the vehicle weathering look, though to me that rust effect doesn’t work at all. The space marine looks fine, but I’m still not convinced. One disadvantage with the translucency is that your painting has to be neater, because you can’t just cover up earlier mistakes with other colours. You can see by my videos that some of my paint application (eg for skin) is really rough and fast, as later layers of paint neaten things up. With this contrast paint every application has to be neat.

Anyway, we’ll see!

Soulsorcerer
    Soulsorcerer
    Participant

Ah..now I understand what you meant. But here is something I am a bit confused. GW said that the paint is covering like a base color but also flows like an ink…creating shadows in the recesses AND highlight on the edges. That would be 3 steps in one and a substantial difference. Yet they only advertise the wash effect. I do not get that at all.

I also see your point that you need to be neater with the runny paint. That is something that especially beginners would struggle with I assume. Maybe if you go from lighter to darker color the covering is still good enough to not matter. They also have the undercoat color in pods to correct mistakes…but that would be a bit counterproductive to the speed aspect.

I am also not really convinced that contrast is as “revolutionary” as GW advertised…but I find it quite interesting to see what this will bring to the hobby.

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Yep let’s face it, it’s a fancy name for a heavily pigmented and slightly thicker wash over a white undercoat. Hurrah!

Soulsorcerer
    Soulsorcerer
    Participant

Prices are out and they are quite high. Considering that you use lots of the paint the slightly larger pot does not offset that fact imho. To me it looks like I might use some colors for nice effects out of the pot like jeans or fur.

Universal Head
    Keymaster

NZ$13.00 a pot. An 18Ml pot as expensive as a 24ml wash and almost twice as expensive as a 12ml paint. Well, I won’t be using contrast paints then.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.