Home Forums The Gaming Room High Frontier… any Space Cowboys out there?

This topic contains 16 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Universal Head 4 years ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    zippy1979
    zippy1979
    Participant

Are there any EOG:ers that also like this game? It seems that either people adore it, or they are just terrified of it.

Which camp are you in?

Other Phil Eklund related stories, welcome 🙂

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Well, I’m sort of repulsed by it. 🙂

I appreciate it’s probably a very meaty, involving game, and the work that has obviously gone into it, but it looks like far too much hard work to me. Also, as a graphic designer, I just can’t bear the dinky graphics and typography.

Looks like a fantastic game for budding rocket scientists though!

zippy1979
    zippy1979
    Participant

I totally understand your repulsion by the Graphic Design, there have however been some people that have tried to clean it up somewhat, for example:

http://boardgamegeek.com/file/download/8cf93c7vq4/High_Frotier_Koryo_Player_Sheet_v2.pdf

Once you get over the cluttered and untidy layouts, the game itself is very rewarding and satisfying. Definitely worth an evening to try out.

Universal Head
    Keymaster

A bit brain-burnery for me personally, but I can definitely understand the attraction to some of the subject matter and the realism.

zippy1979
    zippy1979
    Participant

Furry Muff

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Had to look that one up!

zippy1979
    zippy1979
    Participant

One does not simply gpogle “furry muff”

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Mordor

zippy1979
    zippy1979
    Participant

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH A Graphic Designer used Comic Sans, my eyes, my eyes are bleeding!

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Me? Use Comic Sans? Ha ha, how foolish you are, I would never do such a thing. NEVER! (Unless perhap in an ironic, post-modern kind of way). 🙂 I simply Googled this image and linked to it.

Oxymoron
    Participant

I will give any game a go, however if the graphics look crap then there is basically no chance it will make the tables.

Games like Through the Ages and Dawn of the Zeds are about as low as I will go with the look and design before I give the game a wide berth.

zippy1979
    zippy1979
    Participant

I also hate cluttered and bad design. I am also an artwork snob, so I have avoided the original Glory to Rome for example.

I do enjoy the highly scientific artwork on Phil Eklund’s games, but I don’t like that it is often very cluttered. The board for the game for example, is beautiful, it’s just that the cards and player boards could do with an overhaul.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.