Home Forums The Reception Hall Hmm … a tad dusty in here Jeeves. To work, fellow club members!

This topic contains 23 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by ozmo ozmo 3 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 24 total)
  • Author

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Righto fellow club members! Things are a little quiet around here, and while personally my natural state is to prefer a bit of hush so I can read a rules summary in peace with a good single malt, we can’t have forums just sitting here doing nothing! There’s been a decent stream of new members – 67 have joined as of this writing – but no one seems to be posting anything, and a couple of chatty posts I’ve made have been greeted with silence.

I’ve recently made a few small improvements behind the emerald curtain—the registration and lost password pages have been much improved, so the process will hopefully be less arcane than it was before. Also, you can now create personalised signature blocks under your posts.

It’s time for us all to rally round and get these boards humming. I’m very much open to suggestions on what I can improve this end, so I’m relying on you club members to inundate me with ideas. Post threads, suggest new topics or even whole new rooms – argue, pontificate and remonstrate! But no duels please gentlemen (and ladies); getting the stains out of the upholstery is a damned inconvenience.

WonderSlug
    WonderSlug
    Participant

My gosh! Has it really been almost a month since this topic was posted?

I apologize for not being a more active member, but I want to assure you it has nothing to do with the quality of the site or anything related to it. I guess I’m just not a super chatty person like I used to be.

I remember the good ole days in college (University for you foreigners. . .;)) when I’d spend entire breaks just chatting away in forums, mostly about video games, but just as often about whatever random topic was brought up on a given day. These days (with two young children, the age I’ve heard referred to by a few podcasters as “the dark ages for gamers”) I mostly check forums for rules inquiries, and occasionally find myself caught up in lengthy debates on this or that, usually related to Descent rules. But for the most part, by the time my kids are in bed if I’m not sleepy myself, I like to work on insert designs or paint something.

Now, lazy pants excuses aside, you’ve managed to create a site and, equally as important, project a personality that just hits the mark perfectly with my gaming tendencies. I check the site nearly daily for new content, and watch every new video you post. Your painting videos are especially up my alley, and even though I’m not into war gaming (yet. . .) I really have enjoyed your play through videos of things like DeadZone and Confrontation. Your videos are always so full of energy and your passion for the “worlds” you’re playing in really shines through, where most other online personalities focus mostly on rules and “whether you should buy this game, blah blah blah.”

I really enjoy sharing my box insert designs here and seeing what other members come up with; Your Descent second edition insert was my springboard into the hobby, so this feels like my insert home for all time! And your rules summaries. . .well, I think you know how much I love one of them in particular. (Sedition Wars)

I hope the slow start to your forums doesn’t discourage you in your efforts. You’ve really got a fantastic site, your content is consistently improving, and I look forward to seeing it grow. I do my best to point people here from Google+ when they ask painting questions or insert questions, and I think once more people discover what a truly valuable resource you’ve made here, they’ll tell their friends and they’ll tell their friends, and it’ll be unstoppable.

Keep up the good work!

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Time flies when you’re gaming!

I’ve written to you direct to thank you for your generous donation, but – publicly – a big thankyou for the kind words and support WonderSlug.

More box insert designs coming – I’m working on a different way of presenting them so I can get more of them out faster.

Fantastic to see some familiar faces appearing here on the forums, and a bunch of like-minded people getting together and enjoying the hobby. The encouragement is really appreciated and help me kicking along working on the site. Cheers!

PS and your help on Sedition Wars was absolutely invaluable. Thanks again for that fantastic proofreading.

ozmo
    ozmo
    Participant

Hi UH,

I’ve tried posting a couple of threads but they never showed up. Any ideas on what might be the issue? I was logged in when I posted.

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Curses, I thought the problems had been fixed. Can you describe what you did? Were they replies to existing posts (if so which ones) or new topics?

Can’t say I’m that impressed with bbPress at the moment …

ozmo
    ozmo
    Participant

I posted in a couple of spots. They initially didn’t show up so I reposted and received a “duplicate post” message. So it was captured at some point. But they never appeared.

I did have img tags and a couple of hyperlinks in there.

I’ll try them again a little later and see if they go through.

WonderSlug
    WonderSlug
    Participant

You’re quite welcome! You deserve it.

As for proofreading, I keep meaning to get round to doing some others from my collection, but my knowledge of the other games isn’t quite as thorough as with Sedition Wars, or in most cases your summaries are already in good shape.

As you know, Sedition Wars was a unique beast, in that the rules were such a jumbled mess of revision over revision, those of us who wanted to play it with any amount of confidence were intimately familiar with each change during the time period following its release, but getting one well composed catch-all document was really difficult to nail down. I think, even to this day, the official rules have yet to be merged the way you did it, so players buying it off the shelf have:

1. inaccurate / confusing unit cards
    2. an obsolete rule book
    3. 3 pages Errata
    4. 5 pages of FAQ
    5. a document containing scenario specific errata and suggested troop load outs.

It’s still a fantastic game, but it’s anything but approachable without your summary and revised cards. Man, I haven’t played it in a while and writing about it makes me want to break it out. 🙂

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Yes, it’s a complete mystery to me why they let Sedition Wars flounder in that fashion. If I was them, I would definitely re-release the rules and cards as a single definitive PDF. They don’t seem to realise that gamers don’t have the time to collate and keep track of every rules change (it certainly took us long enough!)

Actually, I have no idea if they’ve made more changes since we looked at it, and subsequently whether my version is currently definitive. I have enjoyed it the times I’ve played it, but perhaps the system is just a bit too complicated for your average time-poor gamer.

Did your posts show up ozmo?

WonderSlug
    WonderSlug
    Participant

Only once you’re in the forum pages, not on the front page or articles.

At least that’s what I’m seeing.

Universal Head
    Keymaster

I’m confused – I’m seeing a logout up there right now, for example. You’re not?

ozmo
    ozmo
    Participant

My missing posts never showed. But it appears to be working now. Maybe the img tags and links didn’t work.

I’ll test.

Here’s a link test –

ozmo
    ozmo
    Participant

Interesting. the hyperlink didn’t seem to take. It was just a link to BGG.

http://boardgamegeek.com

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.