Forums The Gaming Room I know it's Sigmar, but…

This topic contains 38 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Universal Head 1 month ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 25 through 36 (of 39 total)
  • Author

The8thPagan
    Participant

I was expecting that too… assumed the Battle of Glymmsforge to be that mini campaign…

Forge Bane had three scenarios in the box and even the Storm of Sigmar mini box had a four part (although the first three very crap) campaign to teach you the rules.

A few small battles to teach the rules and working towards a ‘full box contents’ finale would have been good. Bit crap in that respect.

I’ve built the Objective tokens box and Malign Sorcery so far, less daunting than the big box of Soul Wars. They were quite easy to assemble.

Uthoroc
    Uthoroc
    Participant

They had a litte booklet with starting scenarios for the shops and the pre-release events they were running. Very strange they didn’t put that in the box.

Universal Head
    Keymaster

It’s weird – here’s how to construct the miniatures in insane detail, here’s a couple of hundred pages of background guff – but very little guidance at all on how to actually play the game. 😉 Not that any of us need it, but for beginners it would be handy. They even used to have starting examples of play in the very old boxes.

Soulsorcerer
    Soulsorcerer
    Participant

Maybe they did put that stuff in the new General Handbook 2018? It´s GW after all 🙂

Otherwise…Path to Glory is a small campaign book for a couple dollars building a few models into a larger skirmish force.
    Reads like a smooth transition into AoS.

The8thPagan
    Participant

Soulsorcerer is right… loads of battleplans in Generals Handbook 2018… I wasn’t going to buy, but I went out it it was just asking to be bought.

Open Play, Narrative and Matched Play.

The8thPagan
    Participant

Coming soon is Storm Strike, a mini starter for Soul Wars.

If it’s priced like the previous one it will be around £25 and contains….

https://whc-cdn.games-workshop.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/AoSStormStrikeContents-Jul1-Content7us.jpg

That’s four units of easy to build that go for about £10 each making it a bargain just for the plastic.

Includes a mini campaign to teach the rules, but of the four scenarios in previous box, first three were crap.

But I was going to buy both Haunt units anyway, so I’ll just wait for Storm Strike now.

There is a larger box that will probably go for £50, but think that’s just cut down version of Soul Wars.

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Looking at all the extras and bits and bobs is starting to annoy me. The piecemeal pricing tactics developed with Necromunda seem to be the new normal for GW. Warscroll cards are outrageous – NZ$43 for 53 cards for the Eternals, NZ$29 for the 24 Nighthaunt cards. NZ$71 for each battle tome (hoping these are unnecessary if you have the cards). NZ$130 for the spells expansion, then NZ$56 for each of the Nighthaunt and Eternals spell sets. And that’s all before the cost of extra figures, which seem to be priced by picking numbers out of a hat – a box of 10 Grimghast Reapers is the same cost as a single lady Olynder figure (NZ$77).

The expense is astonishing really. It’s such a shame. I’d actually get into this again in a bigger way if the prices were anywhere near reasonable, and it particularly gets my goat how ‘hero’ figures are priced exhorbidantly higher than rank and file.

The8thPagan
    Participant

Sure if you read fine print on warscroll packs it says you need battle tome.

I’m sticking with just Malign Sorcery. The faction specific spells cost twice as much.

No justification for one hero costing more than a unit.

I’m only playing friendly games, so I’ll be using proxy from my RPG, boardgame and wargame selection for heroes and wizards.

Don’t forget… all warscrolls are free pdf.

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Why? Isn’t the battle tome just mostly full of the warscroll info, plus a lot of background fluff?

I didn’t realise the warscrolls could be downloaded. Well, that’s one good thing at least!

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Where can you download them?

The8thPagan
    Participant

Go to GW website and select the model/unit you’re interested in. Multiple units in the bigger boxes

Further down the page it says, ‘Description/Downloads… blah blah’.

Should be all there under downloads.

Soul Wars and new stuff all up to date, but the rest will be updated as time goes on.

Universal Head
    Keymaster

I love the way the download versions are in B&W. “They’ll have to bloody well pay for colour!” said the beancounters.

Viewing 12 posts - 25 through 36 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.