Home Forums The Study Imperial Smog…

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  CK Lai 1 year, 8 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

8th
    Participant

Smog: Rise of Moloch is on KS and although the miniatures look cool, the gameplay and replay value seem to be limited.

So… inspired by images like this…

http://atomictoasters.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Steam-Wars.jpg

…I had a thought… Empire Assault…

Grab the Smog Kickstarter and convert the heroes and villains to Imperial Assault.

Both games have minions and leaders/agents, so creating some new units (or just pasting Smog art onto an Imperial Assault card) shouldn’t be that difficult.

Missions and maps from Imperial Assault are plentiful, especially with all the expansions and fan created stuff.

I think I might have to reconsider my lack of pledge to Smog now…

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Interesting idea … really … though Imperial Assault as a game system doesn’t seem that much different to the game CMON are offering with the figures! Is it? I haven’t played the skirmish game much.

8th
    Participant

A valid point, but Imperial Assault has branching paths for the missions.

Also has side missions that vary by heroes involved and others from a pool of side missions. Gives replay value.

Only played skirmish once, so not a great judge of that, but it was fun.

CK Lai
    Participant

SMOG : Moloch looks like it took the upgrade abilities path directly from Descent 2.0/Imperial Assault. And the Adrenaline mechanic from L7: Omega Protocol.

The only lack is the optional, branching mission tree of Imperial Assault. But then, not many games actually allow you to do that. Even Descent 2.0 has a very linear mission path.

8th
    Participant

If I recall correctly, in Decent 2.0 you can complete some missions rather than all, so that gives some variety.

Not played Level 7, so don’t know the Adrenaline mechanic. Is like the Ether?

CK Lai
    Participant

For Descent 2.0 (since I’ve just set up the game to play with the in-app campaign) you get a slight choice between 2 Interlude and 2 Finale quests. A very small choice. You still need to play all of the main quests in the Shadow Rune campaign. A very far cry from the excellent branching campaign format of IA.

Yes, the Ether = Adrenaline. The more the heroes use Ether, the more the Overlord can do. L7:OP combined that with an innovative Overlord Command tile set where using certain capabilities had a “countdown timer” effect before you could use them again. Moloch just has a straightforward “use it or don’t use it” rule set.

Still, CMON has grabbed 2 well-regarded mechanics from 2 well-regarded games for Moloch. Innovative? C’mon, it’s a CMON game (Blood Rage was a flash in the pan, being an Euro worker placement game in wolves’ clothing… but what awesome clothing!). If you regard CMON games as gateway games to the dice-chucking, dungeon-crawly genre: well produced games, gorgeous minis (bling for the eyes) then they work very well on that level. My wife’s nieces and nephews loved Z:BP to bits despite never having played a game like that before.

Expecting innovative games from CMON (Blood Rage aside) is really expecting too much from CMON. They are what they are. They’ve carved out a comfortable niche for themselves, and even though they seem to be branching out a bit with Moloch, they don’t seem to want to stray very far from their niche.

In other words, complaining about CMON games’ gameplay is like complaining that water is wet 😉 They may gain positive reviews for producing good games within their specialty niche (YMMV), but they won’t appear on many “Game of the Year” lists because that’s not what they aspire to.

8th
    Participant

Admittedly, their sculptors do a decent job, but they really need some game designers to come up with some innovation.

By the way CK… are you backing Smog?

Universal Head
    Keymaster

To my great surprise I managed to bag a copy of Smog: The Thirteenth Hour from a guy on Boardgamegeek, who is in Australia no less. I’ve been watching Ebay and I haven’t seen a single copy come up (or any of the original figures).

So hopefully that’ll give me a nice alternate skirmish system with which to use the figures!

CK Lai
    Participant

@8th: yup! Moloch pushes all my buttons. Victorian Steampunk Magic. 😉

As you guys said… worth it for the minis alone. If the game sucks, I’ll use the rules from the upcoming Twisted skirmish game and make up my own factions.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.