Home Forums The Gaming Room Infinity

Tagged: 

Viewing 12 posts - 133 through 144 (of 150 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Rules are written by people that know the rules.

If you read your own material you see what it is supposed to say, not what is written. That’s why a writer shouldn’t edit his own work.

It’s always going to be a problem.

Participant

LOL. Thanks for the very detailed explanation, guys. Sounds like they need to do something like what FFG did in Imperial Assault (and, I think, other games as well): 1 quickstart rulebook (for noobs), 1 detailed rules glossary (for tourney players).

If that’s the case: maybe you guys should take a look at the MERCS universe? lower cost of entry, only 5 minis per side per game. Similar style of minis (and maybe a bit more “character” to my eyes, even though I think production wise, the Infinity minis are superior from a technical aspect). Similar needs in terms of terrain (2 x 3). Apparently very different rules and gameplay, though 😉

(You might be able to re-purpose the Infinity minis as the MERCS faction cards are actually available for download for free, as are the rules).

Keymaster

Oh please, anything but that! I dislike the FFG approach with a passion. I know they were trying to do something different, but the system has become a mess because it isn’t edited well enough. So you end up getting different descriptions of the same processes, and even different terminology and rules! Making rules summaries for FFG games has become a complete pain.

MERCS seems to have a lot of rules problems too, from what I’ve heard.

Participant

Board games from MERCS have rules problems (Myth & Recon). Not the MERCS TT game. According to the TT players who then complain on Kickstarter that since the TT rules are clean, how come board game rules are so messed up? I’ve yet to play MERCS TT. Having too much fun with Recon.

KentKent
    Participant

I’ve watched the EOG youtube videos on Infinity, and numerous others, but still cannot decide whether I want to get into it. I absolutely love all of the models, especially the different armies available. Read through the pages in this post it is hard to get a grasp of whether y’all enjoy Infinity or if there are too many issues with the rulebook to make it worthwhile.

I have the chance to buy the Icestorm box (the one from the video) for a good price, should I jump in?

WonderSlugWonderSlug
    Participant

I think only you can make that call, Kent.

If what you’ve seen so far is enticing, then go for it. If you can get a good price on the Icestorm box, then that’ll give you enough minis to paint and play with to make an informed decision about going further with the game. There’s currently no other entry point for Infinity that provides the “game in a box” experience. All of the other starter boxes are limited to one small group of troops for one army.

I highly recommend watching battle reports and other videos to learn the basics of the game. The rule books are OK, but as mentioned already, they’re not really the best way to learn the game. Beasts of War also has an excellent video series for learning the basic rules of Infinity. The first of these videos can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUhdbaYmgI0

If you have a local presence for the game, try to find a WarCor member to give you a demo. WarCors are community members that Corvus Belli has essentially given ambassador status to for the game. Their goal is to grow the game through local support and event planning, etc. Nothing beats a “in real life” explanation of the game from someone who knows it, assuming they’re also a good teacher…

Either way you decide, be sure to let us know how it goes.

KentKent
    Participant

Thanks for the info, Wonderslug. I’ve managed to find the Facebook group for the local Infinity players and a couple of WarCors are organizing a demo for me to come play with them. The community seems very friendly and I am hoping it goes well! I will check back in with how it goes (hopefully well).

The price point really appeals to me, especially the fact I can get a full army for ~100$. Feels like so many tabletop games keep pushing towards gameplay styles that require ever-growing hordes of miniatures ($$$).

Keymaster

Good idea – play before you buy!

Participant

@UH: re FFG rules. Yeah, from your perspective, I feel your pain. Trying to write a comprehensive rules summary from 3 different rule books is NOT my idea of fun.

But from the perspective of a beginner player, that kind of format is really great. Learn quickly, less clutter.

Keymaster

Except for the fact that they’ve often got rules wrong between the two books, or expressed things differently in such a way as to confuse people; and worst of all, the repetition of concepts in different ways is a mess. I see what they’re trying to do, but I think it’s led to more confusion, not less. Games such as Star Wars Imperial Assault and Warhammer Quest Card Game have pretty straightforward rules, but the new format makes them needlessly complex.

Participant

So… good idea, iffy implementation? 😉

Keymaster

I think it’s overkill. A well-written, well-organised rulebook is still the best solution.

Viewing 12 posts - 133 through 144 (of 150 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.