Home Forums The Gaming Room Infinity

Tagged: 

Viewing 12 posts - 13 through 24 (of 150 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster

Yep, have downloaded and I’m reading through now. I’ll fiddle around with that army builder – very handy.

Participant

Yesterday I bought the Hephaestus Scenery Pack which is essentially a different print of the Mototronica one which comes with Operation IceStorm. It being given an Aleph facilities them.

UH – the building in these pack are designed to be reinforced with the Infinity squad or TAG boxes which fit precisely inside them and make the roof much more sturdy for placing troops on top.
    Carlos explains it in one of the Beasts of War videos about Op IceStorm . They have some videos of playing the scenarios which maybe be helpful getting started and understanding some of the concepts.

You may also enjoy this video about the design of Op Icestorm.
    http://www.beastsofwar.com/infinity/designing-operation-icestorm/

Also picked up the Aleph Drakios & Scylla box – I’ve no idea how that happened.

Keymaster

Thanks mate. I’m looking into some of the MDF terrain, there’s some amazing stuff out there (check this out), but I won’t make any investments until I’ve played the starter set and see how deeply I want to go down this new rabbit hole!

Participant

Some of that MDF lasercut terrain is really fantastic.

Could you use some of your Deadzone terrain for Infinity ?

Keymaster

Don’t see why not.

Participant

@ UH: to get you even more tempted, here’s some more MDF Infinity stuff (although I think the Deadzone terrain may be slightly cheaper).

http://www.systemagaming.com/ (SF Infinity stuff)

My personal favourite has to be this one: http://warsen.al/collections/terrain

I got into the Pedion KS which just ended, so… no more terrain for me! For the rest of this year.

MultigoretMultigoret
    Participant

Just finished painting my Operation Icestorm, waiting for my mate to return from holidays to try it out.

Keymaster

Let us know what you think!

WonderSlugWonderSlug
    Participant

Damn you! Damn you all!

Damn you, Peter, for this thread and for the Shut Up and Sit Down review. And how could we forget about the awesome battle reports with Will? Damn you, sir!

Damn you, CK Lai, for links to all that amazing terrain that takes me back to my G.I. Joe days (where the terrain in my imagination looked like that)

Damn you, Razide, for the Beasts of War video. They don’t always get the rules right in their videos, but they’re always well done regardless. And damn you for talking about all those cool sounding abilities on post 9849 (ThermoOptic Camo, repeaters, Hacking, Link teams, combined orders. Viral weapons, TAGs) I have no idea what any of that is, but it all sounds so cool.

Did I forget anyone? Oh! Damn you, Multigoret, for already owning a painted set and making me jealous!

I REALLY REALLY REALLY want this game now. I’ve been scouring the web, gushing over all the fantastic looking miniatures, thinking, “I wonder what mine will look like,” thinking about all the cool “shooty shooty” moments I’ve read about in the reviews.

Thanks a lot guys…

Seems like some time in the near future, I’m going to be one of you dirty hippy tabletop wargamers <shudder>…

I hope my friend Ricky (as in my only Netrunner opponent) likes it too. 😛

MultigoretMultigoret
    Participant

Had my first game today, thought i would know the rules, which i kind of did, but my brother came up with some annoyingly good questions…

Can i go prone?
    sure…
    Ok, what does it do? eehm i think it gives you cover against people standing on lower levels… but that should be in the advanced rules.

Can i do ambushing fire?
    eehm, no clue must be advanced rules, some do but not sure if everyone can, but you can definitely go for suppression fire !!(i saw that in a vid)
    ok that sounds good, i’ll put him into suppression mode, what does it do?
    Eehm dammit, why did i even mention that, lets stick to the basic demo rules, it’s our first mission …

Blah, you’re unprepared… 😛

WonderSlugWonderSlug
    Participant

So, are there any other “starter” sets out there or is Operation Icestorm pretty much the entry point for noobs? You know, because options are always nice.

Also, Amazon has this for $109. Is that a good price? I have no war gaming experience to judge that price point.

MultigoretMultigoret
    Participant

The price seems about right…

Operation Icestorm has some advantages, it has a mini campaign introducing you step by step into more rules and different units, has the cardboard terrain included along with some fancy faction specific custom dice.

So it is easy to split with a mate. But you could also just download the free rules, and each buy a faction specific starter pack + one or two of the 3 different cardboard terrain sets they have and use regular d20s.

There is, in my humble opinion, a downside to starting war-gaming with infinity though. The minis are multipart metal models. Not ideal (imo again) for a beginner when it comes to building up a force, but maybe more people could give their opinion on it. You just need to be aware that building up those metal models will lead to some frustration, especially if you don’t have any experience with it.

There are alot of skirmish games out there but i haven’t tried many of them yet as i have been playing wargames with big model counts. I will also be trying Malifaux (starterbox on preorder) which has plastic models, far easier to work with than metal. It’s a completely different game though.

Viewing 12 posts - 13 through 24 (of 150 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.