Home Forums The Reception Hall Is the Site slow for others?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Universal Head 4 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    WonderSlug
    WonderSlug
    Participant

I really love the new site, UH. Looks great.

However, it seems to be chugging along at times. I’m starting to get flashbacks from the 56k modem days at times. Ok, maybe not that bad, but it’s getting pretty bad on my end.

Is anyone else experiencing slow load times? This occurs both loading the front page from a fresh browser to jumping between threads in the Forums.

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Hmm, this is a concern for me of course, though I must admit I’m not having the same problem (and the site is hosted in the US and I’m in New Zealand). I’d be interested in other people’s opinions. This is a graphic-heavy site, but it shouldn’t be chugging that much.

There are two things I can do that will probably have a huge effect on the speed. One is to install a caching plugin, and the other is to use a CDN (Content Delivery Network).

Caching is good, but it means I must stop my habit of tweaking the pages after I publish them, as users won’t get fed updated pages instantly. Not a great problem; I just wanted to avoid doing installing the plugin until the new site design was stable.

Using a CDN means that the site is deployed from servers closer to your location. That involves an extra monthly cost to me personally, so I’m avoiding it until the site has more traffic.

Anyway, I’ll look into installing a good caching plugin. I’d really appreciate updates from people on the speed, and if you don’t mind WonderSlug, I’ll use this thread to hear them (and to update you all on improvements from my end).

WonderSlug
    WonderSlug
    Participant

Thank you for the info, UH.

strangely enough, the site runs great on my phone but slow at work. We did just recently change providers there so its likely that has something to do with it.

I’ll keep providing g feedback as appropriate

Tangram11
    Tangram11
    Participant

A little lag on initial pageload request, but works fine for me otherwise.

KilledbyDice
    KilledbyDice
    Participant

The site seems to work fine although it feels as if the scrolling has been altered. It feels like I’m scrolling a page on a phone/table rather than with a mouse-wheel.

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Yes, a ‘smooth scrolling’ effect is on – it’s a CSS effect. Not essential, but gives a smoother scroll, especially between links on the same page. I can turn it off if it bothers people.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.