Home Forums The Gaming Room Joan of Arc

This topic contains 12 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Avatar Universal Head 1 week, 4 days ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Uthoroc
    Uthoroc
    Participant

Well, well, my “Late Maiden Pledge” box (Core Box plus Rewards) arrived yesterday, and it feels like I’ve been unboxing stuff ever since. I love the 15mm miniatures, the Beast of the Apocalypse and the Sultan on Djinn-carried flying carpet are just awesome. Looking forward to trying the first game. The rulebook does okay on first glance, and the rules are fairly straightforward. The only downside is that my pile of shame has just about tripled now. :O Photos here.
    Mehmet II

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Wow, I’m looking forard to this one, but also scared because I know so little about the game yet I spent so much money on it. I got a tracking email but they gave themself a delivery window of Jun 27 to Nov 27!!

Thanks for the pics Ralf. Hopefully those little figures will be relatively quick and easy to paint, though how I hate painting little cavalry after doing so many for BattleLore and Battles of Westeros!

Uthoroc
    Uthoroc
    Participant

It’s been a long time since I did it, but 15mm painting always seemed quick and easy to me compared to 28mm. There’s simply so much less area. 😀 Still, it’ll be years before I’ll completed this (if ever).

The rules seem pretty clear at this first glance and the gameplay videos (I saw a few) are looking quite good. Perhaps I’ll get a first game in this weekend. I’ll let you know how it went if I do.

Soulsorcerer
    Soulsorcerer
    Participant

Still pondering if I should sell my stuff (got also the Dragon). I backed because I was interested in smaller scale games for some time now…but with all the other stuff I backed and bought I think I will not have enough time to get a decent amount of games in with this one.

But on the other side…the minis look good..just the wings of the Dragon are a bit disappointing in detail 🙁 And if the game itself is good…maybe I should keep it. Will be interesting to hear your thoughts on this Uthoroc.

And if you are a late pledge then you should go to BGG for the official threat to the game. There are some components missing. Many of the Scenarios need errata ect.

Uthoroc
    Uthoroc
    Participant

Yep, I already checked on BGG. Not surprised errors have crept in at the magnitude of this project.

Soulsorcerer
    Soulsorcerer
    Participant

Still the amount of unnecessary mistakes in the scenario set-ups ect point to a lack of quality-checks and is a bit disappointing. They had the opportunity for several thousand backers going through all of it before printing…and seem to have not used that…sad!

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Mythic and Monolith both need some serious bloody quality control processes.

Uthoroc
    Uthoroc
    Participant

Here are some pictures from our first games of Joan of Arc. We played the starting scenario three times. The hated English won three times, but one game was very close and was only lost through a combination of bad luck and clever card play by the English.

First verdict: Quick and engaging game play (no game lasted longer than 45 minutes after we had gone through the rules). It’s quite luck dependent, but I think this is exacerbated through the small forces in the first scenario – one bad roll can be very hard to make up for here. We’ll see how the bigger battles go.

More images here.

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Nice to hear a good report, I’ve been a bit worried by the endless posts on BGG about unbalanced scenraios and errors.

Brent
    Participant

Yes – there are way too many issues that ought to have been caught by even a cursory quality control program. Mythic really needs to get ahead of this stuff. The internet is very unforgiving.

I have played a few games now. I think the folks bemoaning the sky is falling protest a bit too much. There is a really fun system inside this game and I look forward to years of playing it.

Here is the interesting thing about this game. The underlying rules system is quite easy to grasp and elegant. The framework that those rules support is something the scenarios build upon. The scenarios offer up a bunch of extra rules and situations on top of the base rules that make each scenario almost like a completely different game.

Peace

Universal Head
    Keymaster

That sounds pretty good.

Uthoroc
    Uthoroc
    Participant

I tried painting the first miniature from Joan of Arc. I live painting 15mm minis … it is so quick! 😀 The only problem is they (at least mine) look atrocious in images – I can only assure you that John Fastolf here looks like decent on the table. 😀
    John Fastolf
    Size comparison

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.