Home Forums The Gaming Room Journey: Wrath of Demons

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Universal Head 3 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Universal Head
    Keymaster

After helping to kickstart it way back in Nov 2013, Journey: Wrath of Demons arrived on my doorstep this morning. First and foremost the miniatures are just astoundingly beautiful, probably the best plastic miniatures I’ve ever seen. It really highlights the variety in quality you get in miniatures these days. They’re a universe away from the crappy minis in Flying Frog’s Shadows of Brimstone, for example. Since Monolith name-checked Journey: Wrath of Demons as the mini quality they were going for in their Conan game, if those guys reach the same level I’ll be very happy indeed.

An unboxing video will be posted in the next few days.

CK Lai
    Participant

Ooohhhh… Envy envy. I missed this Kickstarter and wish I’d gotten it as it’s one of the few to do Chinese mythology in games, specifically the “Journey to the West”.

WonderSlug
    WonderSlug
    Participant

OOOOOOOOOO.

SO excited to see this unboxed. I watched that Kickstarter intently, but decided against it, because the game itself seemed very similar to so much of what I already have. And I also wasn’t sure about backing because it seemed like an overly ambitious project, and I frankly didn’t place trust in the company to make it as nice as the Kickstarter looked, or play as smoothly as I’d want it to. Sounds like I was wrong, at least for the miniatures. I’m curious how the game plays.

Universal Head
    Keymaster

I must admit I’m not holding high hopes for the originality of the game, it’s apparently pretty much a bog-standard dungeoncrawler (I may be wrong, I haven’t read all the rules yet), but the miniatures/bigatures are amazing. Large scale, highly detailed, and oozing with character.

MarcellusWallace
    MarcellusWallace
    Participant

Well, they took their time! Gotta give the Brimstone guys that: they delivered fast 😉 Can’t wait to see those minis up close in your video!

Another project i backed, Demigods Rising, also took the Journey minis as a quality standard they want to achieve (they pretty much just said they will deliver minis in the same quality) but have yet to prove it. Apart from one failed plastic mini and starting a second ks campaign they didn’t show much of the plastic minis. So hats off to the Journey team for getting this done!

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Well, the Brimstone guys delivered almost what they promised, but then this seems to be the pattern with Kickstarters – thrown in lots of extras to draw in the backers, then suddenly realise at the end of the campaign that you don’t have the time and resources to do it all in one go, so be forced to pay double postage and take years to send out everything. Thre are lots of extras due with the Journey campaign too, and I recently heard from Ares and their strangely delayed Age of Conan campaign that they may also be splitting it into two shipments.

Funny how these things can’t be planned a bit better!

CK Lai
    Participant

Heh. Did you back the Age of Conan expansion as well? That one’s full of excuses that I think they’re trying to delay the production so they can time it with the actual big box Age of Conan game reprint or something. It’s weird something as small and simple as that is taking so long.

I’d get worried… if it wasn’t Ares Games. 😉

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Yes I did, and it is strange that as experienced a publisher as Ares should take so long. It’ll definitely arrive, but the pre-planning certainly could have been better.

ShawnMcCool
    Participant

I’d love to hear more about the actual gameplay of Journey. Has anyone had a chance to play it yet?

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Not yet!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.