Home Forums The Kitchen Kickstarter 2016

This topic contains 366 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  8th 1 year, 10 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 367 total)
  • Author

8th
    Participant

About time I started a new Kickstarter topic. Same theme as before, games on Kickstarter.

Nova Aetas

Saw this one last year and it interested me, but it didn’t fund. Got close, then people started bailing if I recall correctly.

Anyway, back for a third attempt.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1682672801/nova-aetas-dark-renaissance-tactical-game-0?ref=category_newest

razide
    Participant

I was just looking at this 10 minutes ago. Yes, I think it was just about funded then a lot of the money drained out rapidly for some reason.
    Nova Aetas looks interesting and tempting.

Is it similar to Carnevale ?

CK Lai
    Participant

Ah. I didn’t know this was back for its 3rd attempt. I’ve seen the first 2.

@razide: I think the only similiarity with Carnevale is the Renaissance period feel. This is a tactical RPG board game. Carnevale is a tabletop miniatures game. I almost backed Carnevale until I realised the minis were all metal, and I’d have to get a whole bunch of Renaissance-era buildings to play on, instead of a generic table.

Also note: “The miniatures are 38mm tall”. So if those are standard human, bye-bye to any thoughts of using them in other games (maybe the monsters as they are more forgiving in terms of size).

razide
    Participant

CK what are the main differences between a tactical RPG board game and a tabletop miniatures small squad game ?

The RPG one I suppose would have character enhancement through a campaign style set up…..is that the main difference ?

CK Lai
    Participant

@razide: that’s primarily it although some older games (like Mordheim and Necromunda) provide the same RPG-style levelling up in a skirmish game. Frostgrave is a modern incarnation of such games.

A board game typically has a smaller playing area (2 x 2) and has grids on the board for measurement. I’ve never really understood the tabletop miniatures gamer’s disdain for grids. It’s just another method for measuring. But apparently Real Tabletop Miniatures Gamers Use Measuring Tape. A minis skirmish game starts at 2 x 2 and goes up to 4 x 4.

But really, there’s nothing to stop either of these 2 types of games to provide the experience you’re looking for. Nova Aetas seems to be focused on combat-related RPG leveling up (like Frostgrave) but in a board game form. Carnevale is primarily focused on the combat skirmish aspect. There’s no leveling up provided for at all. Although it does have a wider range of possible actions (compared to your typical skirmish game) that’s very RPG-like.

It all boils down to what you’re looking for. Nova Aetas gets you playing out of the box. Carnevale: you need to assemble and paint your minis, then build your terrain before you can play. Both are focused on combat. NA gives you RPG-like leveling up. Carnevale doesn’t.

8th
    Participant

Nova Aetas is day one funded. Still not convinced. Will watch and wait.

CK Lai
    Participant

@8th : it does have one thing going for it. No “:” in the game title 😀

But… after all this time and still no game play videos? Hmmmmm… did I miss something there?

8th
    Participant

Hadn’t noticed no gameplay video. Odd as nearly a year since last KS.

And the price has gone up, despite there being less miniatures. Plus it came with the Vesuvius pack included last time.

Roughly same number of backers now as when it ended last time.

I’ll just watch for now, but I already has coop RPG KS due in December, which is when this is due.

CK Lai
    Participant

Re: the price. To be fair, the $130 not only includes the base game but also the Vesuvius Expansion and 2 add-on reinforcement packs. Of course, the big question is: are the reinforcement packs worth the extra $$$?

Which co-op RPG is out in September? That horror-themed one? (Can’t recall the name).

8th
    Participant

I thought it was December, but checked and Folklore is due October.

kf4mat
    Participant

I will admit that it looks nice, but the price is a little steep. I do wonder what the replay ability of the game is, as someone from the D&D side of the game room I know my game is only limited to the imagination. Though I guess you could develop your own scenarios if you understand how the mechanics of the AI go together.

8th
    Participant

I have a bad feeling about this one…

Odd that first two KS were in italy and now it’s in america!

Something feels ‘off’!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 367 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.