Home Forums The Kitchen Kickstarter 2016

Viewing 12 posts - 229 through 240 (of 367 total)
  • Author
    Participant

And there it is… the crossover between Zombicide BP and Massive Dorkness.

Only $8 to add to the Massive Dork pledge, but it won’t be at retail, so you have to back to get it.

They know their market… loads of ZBP owners will jump at the chance no doubt, but I still don’t think Massive Dork is worth it yet.

Keymaster

Glad I never got involved in the whole Zombicide thing! I’m not backing Massive Dork either.

Participant

My rename is catching on.

Actually, Massive Dork is no less stupid than Massive Darkness.

I wonder what got rejected. Big Shadow. Obese Night. Epic Evening.

Maybe I’m just bitter and twisted because CONM treat their backers poorly. Yes we get exclusives, but is that enough to compensate for late delivery and the fact that retail gets stuff before we do.

Small companies are more apologetic for delays and keep backers updated.

Keymaster

Tremendous Twilight. Gargantuan Gloom. Stupendous Shadows.

Participant

Zombicide Dungeon Crawler Money Grab…. too cynical?

Participant

“Zombicide Dungeon Crawler Money Grab” works. 😉 Especially since they released an $8 add-on to crossover Z:BP heroes and zombies and MD heroes in both games.

And yes. CMON is banking on all the KS-exclusives and freebies to keep our mouths shut as they rake in the money and deliver the product with minimal post-KS updates. It’s pretty obvious to everyone CMON is cashing in on KS as a guaranteed money-maker: they’ve been doing one KS project every 6 weeks! And for Massive Darkness, they don’t even have the rules and all the sculpts ready unlike their previous projects, which shows how far they are pushing themselves to milk the KS gravy train.

In the end, I guess each person needs to vote with their wallets. MD is the final CMON KS for me… if only for the Z:BP crossover potential.

Participant

Good luck with that CK….

I dropped out of Mass Dork and asked for a refund on Rum & Bones 2 (late pledge, but their terrible post KS attitude put me off).

I like the idea of no more cmon, but can’t promise that I won’t weaken.

Keymaster

Frankly – and call it cynical if you wish, I prefer to call it well-informed and experienced 🙂 – I think the tabletop games industry has reached the level where it can be defined most positively as ‘leveling off’, and more realistically as ‘in decline’. Sad, and I’d be very happy to see something that proved me wrong, but the evidence is pointing that way. My usually regular buying habits are tapering off because I’m not seeing things that are that different from any number of games I already have. And well versed as I am with the amount of time and effort it takes to paint figures, stacks of miniatures aren’t enough to tempt me anymore.

Participant

My opinion is that Massive Darkness should have been branded as Black Plague 2 like Zombicide 1, 2 or 3.

I have several cmon titles and I do not condemn them. It’s a easy way to get games and if you don’t like them as much as you thought you do you can sell it without loss. I am not backing this massive darkness, because 1) the price is not to my liking and 2) I don’t think it adds nothing that Black Plague didn’t add. a couple extra tiles and some new heroes and such. But I don’t think it’s nothing new or innovative.. BUT whereas I think Cmon have their faults of milking the same cow instead of doing something innovative BUT because of them a lot of people start using kickstarter (myself included – now with more than 20 games). I didn’t have a boardgame before purchasing one of them. Now I have a lot kickstarter behind me and some non-kickstarter. I have sold must cmon (now I am expecting The Others & the rest of Black Plague and I am trying to sell B-sieged. But about milking the cow, does not fantasy flight do the same or games workshop? I think they do…

Well, overall I think CMON is great company that gives interesting games, albeit they don’t innovate much. I think Kickstarter changed and now it’s not a place to “okay I want to do this and you gonna help me finnacially” to “Okay, I have a game fully prepared and need money to produce.. but I can’t call it pre-orders :P”

There are exceptions… Middara or Gloomhaven and at some extent Dark Souls. But other big companies are using as a pre-order Scythe boardgame is one of them. This war of Mine is another good example of a fully develop game that only wants a pre-order…

Sorry I talk to much… But I only want to say that cmon has it’s faults but it brought a lot of people to boardgaming… just check in the games community tab.. Black Plague brought 3867 persons who had never backed a project before whereas Scythe only brought 1668. Well they don’t compare to Dark Souls with 9276 new backers. I know most of you didn’t back it but that 9276 new kickstarters will buy a new game eventually and will get into boardgaming activity… Not to mention that to some countries it’s the only way to get boardgames. Portugal, where I live, there exist a small community and I can count with my hand the total stores with boardgames…

Sorry 🙂

Keymaster

I have several too – Sedition Wars, Wrath of Kings, B.Sieged, Blood Rage, and Rum & Bones; and I’ve got The Others on the way – and in general I’m happy with them. But you’ll have to excuse oldies like me who sometimes feel like they‘ve seen it all before. With the resources at CMON’s disposal I’d like to see them innovate more, not just churn out variations on the dungeoncrawler formula; but it’s hard to expect them to do som when the public rewards them so much for churning out the same old same old.

To me, who has been buying and playing games for 38 years, it’s frustrating to see the industry keep reheating the same old ideas. But as you rightly point out, to some people this is all new and exciting, and bringing them into the hobby for the first time.

As much as I’d like it to be, it’s not all about me! So good point. 🙂

Participant

I didn’t mean no disrespect. What I have it’s respect for you and your forum but yes I understand what you are saying.. sometimes a new game comes out that innovates.. Gloomhaven is one of them, This war of mine, the 7th continent or Trickerion… There are still much they can improve. Unfortunally Dungeon Crawlers are quite equal and they may be different in one thing or the other but they are all the same….

Participant

Now… if you’re looking to start up an RPG and need some miniatures… MD could be useful.

The core includes 75 miniatures, 6 of which are heroes and 6 large roamers.

Stretch goals have unlocked…
    60 miniatures (includes 5 heroes & 10 roamers)
    6 pillars
    19 chests

So that a fair bit of loot.

9 roamers and one hero are KS exclusives, which does encourage pledging, but it still doesn’t seem enough incentive to me to buy now at $120 when it will be sold for less eventually.

However… I may weaken if that figure increases enough… although if ZBP does not arrive before the KS closes the odds are reduced.

The delivery date is April next year, so Chinese new year will inevitably add two months+ to that.

Viewing 12 posts - 229 through 240 (of 367 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.