Home Forums The Kitchen Kickstarter campaign advertising – yay or nay?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  razide 2 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Regular EOG forums posters may have noticed that we’re starting to get a few people running Kickstarter campaigns popping up here to advertise their campaigns. How does everyone feel about this kind of activity here? My first reaction is to ban it before it gets out of hand, but I thought I’d ask everyone first – it is ‘your’ discussion club after all, and your opinions are what matter.

CK Lai
    Participant

How about charging them for it? 😉

I mean, keep it as a forum topic (we kinda sorta talk about some KS campaigns on the forums anyway) but they can pay for the privilege.

(We know you will keep it tasteful.)

8th
    Participant

I don’t mind people mentioning stuff, I do it myself, but when it reads like an advert I tend to skip it, as I would spam, or junk mail.

As you said, it is advertising and CK’s suggestion of a fee makes sense, but if you are dealing with small companies, starters even, they won’t have lots of funds.

CK Lai
    Participant

“if you are dealing with small companies, starters even, they won’t have lots of funds.”

Ask them for a complimentary game when it comes out, then. With all the SGs 😀

Uthoroc
    Uthoroc
    Participant

I don’t mind it really, but tend to skip those articles. No strong feelings either way.

Graydeth
    Graydeth
    Participant

there’s advertising and there’s Advertising. i have no problem if a KS company wants to make an announcement – check them out, type of thing. as long as they don’t spam it. i just see it as news and informative.

i would not ask for a kickback as that would instantly make your opinion on a game lose some credibility. unless it was a lot of money… then i may sell out and deal w/ my disappointment by crying in the tub of cash.

maybe a separate KS forum which allows a company to make 1 informative post/announcement?

CK Lai
    Participant

“maybe a separate KS forum which allows a company to make 1 informative post/announcement?”

That’s actually a pretty good idea.

razide
    Participant

An easy system that does not require too much of your time to oversee.
    Yes, maybe a separate Kickstarter News sub-forum. Where the creator can could announce their product with possibly a further post in the last week/48 hours. Straight answers to questions not included but no sly replies simply to bump up the topic.
    If they want to do more then maybe they should be encouraged make a donation to EOoG.

Importantly I think the creator of the KS should have a banner to clearly indicate who they are & how they are affiliated with that product (eg creator, designer, artist sculptor, relative or friend of the creators, etc.)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.